I'm just going to call it Katniss.

A few years ago, I was cutting back a very ragged group of rhododendrons and found this is the middle of the mess. Asked about it here and Barb (formerly known as Baffle) told me that it was an azalea hybrid. I have since forgotten what it's technically called. Anyway, it's getting healthier now that it doesn't have so much competition and can see sunlight and looks quite nice this year. The blooms are pretty fiery and darker than usual so I'm just going to stop worrying about what it actually is and call it Katniss.

AzaleaHydrid_052614.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -azaleahydrid_052614-jpg  

deciduous azalea, maybe? Katniss looks good!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (05-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    deciduous azalea, maybe? Katniss looks good!
    Thanks. She was buried in there for well over a decade so I'm surprised she's even alive. I'll look that up. Hopefully, she'll fill out more over the years.

Senior Dog
    Unique azalea. Never heard of this. Thanks for sharing. Glad you brought it out into the sunlight. Enjoy azaleas, have one in my front yard. Hoping it fills out nicely for you.

KAZ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

janedoe (05-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Unique azalea. Never heard of this. Thanks for sharing. Glad you brought it out into the sunlight. Enjoy azaleas, have one in my front yard. Hoping it fills out nicely for you.

KAZ
    I should have mentioned that Katniss is about six feet tall. More of a dwarf tree than a standard azalea bush.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

ZRabbits (05-26-2014)

Senior Dog
    Tah dah.....

-dscn0885-jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (05-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Tah dah.....

-dscn0885-jpg
    I've forgotten what it is or is it just called a hybrid? These are the flowers on mine.

AzaleaHybridBloom.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -azaleahybridbloom-jpg  

Senior Dog
    It's an Exbury Azalea. Mine did the best ever this year (that pic is from years ago). This is what my flowers look like:

-azalea2-05-jpg

Senior Dog
    Katniss is a really good name for yours....would probably be appropriate for mine, too. (Although the only plant I've ever named was an avocado I grew from a pit decades ago....I called him Aristophanes Avocado.)

Anyway....mine is the only azalea/rhodo that has agreed to live and flower on my property. I've had a couple of other live but never flower (I took them out). The properties on both sides of ours have wonderfully successful azalea plantings but our property is a bit lower and colder in the winter, so maybe that's it. I just planted something called a Swamp Azalea...have four more on order for other wettish areas of the property....can't wait to see if they'll like it.

I love the yellows and oranges and reds that the Exburys come in....and the rangy growth pattern. I like the unrestrained, gleeful look of them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (05-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Katniss is a really good name for yours....would probably be appropriate for mine, too. (Although the only plant I've ever named was an avocado I grew from a pit decades ago....I called him Aristophanes Avocado.)

Anyway....mine is the only azalea/rhodo that has agreed to live and flower on my property. I've had a couple of other live but never flower (I took them out). The properties on both sides of ours have wonderfully successful azalea plantings but our property is a bit lower and colder in the winter, so maybe that's it. I just planted something called a Swamp Azalea...have four more on order for other wettish areas of the property....can't wait to see if they'll like it.

I love the yellows and oranges and reds that the Exburys come in....and the rangy growth pattern. I like the unrestrained, gleeful look of them.
    Thank you!

Your flowers are so pretty! Ours just bloomed and they look a little ragged already. I think the dang thing needs some help that I'm not giving it.

Let me know how the swamp azaleas work out. I have some low lying areas that I tried to plant wildflowers in and it didn't work out so well. I'm kind of at a loss.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos