18months now barks at me at times

ever since my elbow surgery couple weeks ago, chili has sat next to me (normal) a few times and has barked at me(not normal). I dont know if its due to me not being my normal self, something is wrong with me(heard dogs can smell cancer), or he just in a stage.

Its nothing too bad, i give him a command or 2 or scratch his head and all is back to normal, but just thought it was weird due to the stern nature of his barks. they are single loud kinda aggressive, but in no means aggressive towards me f that makes sense. 1st time he did it, i just about spilled my coffee all over myself, he startled me that bad.

thoughts? is it an age thing?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

I bet you smell funny. Also, do you still have your staples? He might have been barking at that because you look different.

just had staples removed on friday, they put iodine on my elbow(think it was that anyways).
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Is he trying to be bossy and tell you "play with me!!!" perhaps?

Sophie has done that to me every now and then. She will sit in front of me with this really serious look on her face, and will bark one time, then back to the stare. If I don't react she will do it again. If she does it the second time I just stand up and tell her no. She then will go about her normal business. Like you said, it's not aggressive in any way. Wish I knew what she was thinking!

Macy started the occasional bratty barking around that age.

Real Retriever
    Really hard to know not knowing Chili's normal mannerism's. I would think it is just asking for attention. Your routine must have changed and he is just letting you know that it used to be time for ___, he misses doing ___ or get off your butt and lets do ___. Maybe he is just trying a new way to let you know something he needs?

He is 18 months old so almost a real dog now. Perhaps he is just experimenting on what technique will get his expected response from you? He has no idea what he wants so gives you a bark to see if you know what he wants kind of thing. Sunshine's signal for this is coming over, sitting by me and putting a foot on my leg while staring at me. I run down the list trying to find out what it is... Are you thirsty? (blank stare) Do you have to poop and pee? (blank stare) Do you want to play hide and seek? (blank stare)..........

I DO NOT mention food because that always gets a positive response! LOL!! I finally just give her a mission and she is happy. "You know what?" WHATWHATWHAT??? Ears at attention now!!! "I bet your special inside stick would like to go on your blanket." ZOOM!!! Finds stick and right onto the blanket chewing on it all happy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (01-25-2015)

Is there any context to it your in a certain position, some treatment.

Could be a million things really. Could be you just smell strange, from the drugs you're probably on.

I would just chalked up to having to do with the surgery, and if it continues, seek some help.

its hard for me to put a finger on it. it usually happens in the AM. It could be anything I understand, hopefully its just because I have been laid up and hurt a bit and not because he turning into a new dog
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

I know this sounds crazy, but I swear I bore the brunt of Sam's horrible puppy behavior because I was sick and he sensed my weakness and was trying to dominate me. The year we got Sam, I spent months going from doctor to doctor while my physical condition deteriorated. Sam would often randomly bark at me or bite on me or jump at me. He never acted that way towards my husband. After I finally received my Parkinson's diagnosis, started on medication and began to get stronger, Sam's bratty behavior towards me got so much better. Now he doesn't act any different towards me than anyone else in my family. My guess would be that Chili senses a weakness in you because of your surgery and he's trying to take advantage of the situation. I don't think you're sick... Chili is just being a brat.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos