Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

My good deed for the day

As I was loading my groceries into my car yesterday, an elderly man pulled into a handicapped spot, opened up his car door- and a full grown black lab leaped out and started running around the parking lot in full "Can't catch me! But please try!" labrador mode. I confirmed with the owner that the lab was friendly and named Max. A few other people got out of their cars to try and help, too. Right about then, a car driving through the lot stopped next to me; the driver rolled down his window and said, "Of course it's a lab." This being a small town, the driver naturally was my neighbor (who owns a lab mix.)

Max was in labby heaven. He was lapping the cars, running right up to the store door, then coming within 5 feet of his owner, then taking off again. If I wasn't scared he'd be hit by a car (it's a Walmart parking lot!), it would've been more cute. Instead, it was just "Been there, done that, let's get this boy." Max came near enough that I was able to grab his collar. I'd peg him at about 18 months old. I helped Max's owner get Max into the car (poor guy was shaken), and then checked that all the car doors stayed shut.

I found out from a colleague that she was in the store at the time, and they were announcing over the PA system, "A labrador is loose in the parking lot."

I'm sure Max thought this was a great adventure.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Oh, how scary that was. Glad you could help the man out.

Wow I would have been so scared. Glad you could help out.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    AH yeah been there done that - our trainer offers training in everyone's car on how to properly get the dog in and out of the car without jumping out and taking off. How to come out slowly on command and sit at your side and wait. Pretty handy lesson for people because it`s not something people really think about. It`s great especially at shows because I always let him relax in the truck instead of in his crate. Just leave the tailgate open and he has his bed and stuff. It would be super convenient if I didn't sell my pick up truck. My friend has a truck with a cap on the bed and he has bedding and everything in there for his golden retriever. It has screened windows and stuff for ventilation and it`s just awesome...anyways back on track sorry everyone!

The person is taking on quite a lot with a lab if they are handicapped. Was it his dog or was he babysitting? Totally not trying to bash him at all as I don't know who he is or what his situation is but lab's can be crazy as we all know - they get that moment of "OMG NEW PLACE ZOOOOOMIESSSS" and before you know it they can be gone. LUCKY YOU WERE THERE TO HELP !

Yay you!

Yowser, handicapped with a young Lab? Was he maybe doggy sitting for someone?

Nice story! Good Karma points for you. Every now and then we need help with these labs!

Senior Dog
    I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner. We just loaded Max up, made sure he was secure in the car, and then parted. And while our town is small, it's not SO small that I knew him.

DH and I did wonder about the "fit" of a lab for this guy, and were hoping that when he got back in his car, Max didn't pull the same stunt!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

That scare's the crap out of me. I'm very happy you were there to help kimbersmom. I also do as xracer does, I train wait, which to my two means they don't cross a boundary until they are told to do so. Be it a fence gate, a door, the gates I have set in the house, going in and out of the garage or getting out of the car. They don't come though until I tell them to. When they come out of the car, it's a sit until I've secured everything and it's time to move.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

xracer4844 (01-26-2015)

If it wasn't so dangerous, it would be funny. I hope this was a wake up call for this guy to do something about exercising, training, etc.

I usually have dog treats in my car for Mocha. That probably would have been handy for Max.

I wonder if Walmart will now enact a "code lab"

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    That scare's the crap out of me. I'm very happy you were there to help kimbersmom. I also do as xracer does, I train wait, which to my two means they don't cross a boundary until they are told to do so. Be it a fence gate, a door, the gates I have set in the house, going in and out of the garage or getting out of the car. They don't come though until I tell them to. When they come out of the car, it's a sit until I've secured everything and it's time to move.
    In training service dogs we call this a transitional stay. Off leash or on leash doesn't make a difference. A quick sit command or down while walking away should be followed right away. Same as a wave in front of the dog as a stay should be followed right away. It's a safety thing so no creeping forward. No steps forward, no lagging. Right away. When teaching transitional stays to class - our trainer is really strict. No looking behind to make sure the command is followed. Does not allow any creeping forward nothing. When crossing the street, we would have the dog sit, stay, while we walk into the street. Quick swipe forward with the hand releases them and they can now heel. Transitional stays are really important for things like walking through doors into a busy room or crossing the street, or waiting before getting out of a vehicle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (01-26-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos