Puppy

Training the basics?

Ok, do I have some questions as to what age you should begin training the basics. I have only trained older dogs, not pups. As you know, I have only had Carver for three days and my main goal currently, aside from making him feel safe and healthy, is to potty train him and just get good manners from him. However, I want to start training him to sit and stay, especially because I do not allow my other dog Sadie to go in the kitchen and I want him trained the same. I also want to start him on the leash. He is about 8 weeks old. Is this too young to begin training sits, stays, and leashes?

Senior Dog
    Puppies are little sponges. I think it's fine to start training, esp sit, but keep it very short- like 30 seconds or so at a time! Keep your expectations pretty low and have fun.

edited to add: Carver will probably mimic your older dog, too- for better and worse.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Puppy
    Thanks! I like the short burst training. That makes sense. He is doing so great so far, he is very smart...albeit short attention spanned. Lol. He is mimicking a lot of the good behaviors already from Sadie.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    i train the minute they come home. short sessions. I like clicker training with pups in the first couple months of age. I train each meal one kibble at a time.

Sure its ok to start training. Keep it short and fun. They have the attention span of an ant at 8 weeks so just dont expect overnight miracles. It helps having an older, well trained adult dog in the house too

Best advice i can give you is always provide supervision, correcting unwanted behaviors now makes it so easy later

I start training my pups the day they come home. The first thing I start with is to sit prior to being fed. I also usally train prior to each meal.

Good luck and have fun.

We definitely trained "wait for it" before a meal. If we didn't, Oliver would bowl you over to get to his food. That would be disastrous when he becomes and adult and at full weight if he didn't learn this rule. We did all basic commands from day 1 as well (9 weeks old). We don't let Oliver in the kitchen when we cook or eat either. He is getting A LOT better at this. He didn't so much care for this rule when we first began to implement it. You will find that your dog will know what you want them to do but they may not want to do it so they will push you to see if you are serious or just kidding. Also, you will find that once they have a rule down, they may "forget" it a few weeks or months later to make sure you actually did mean it too. Just my experience so far with Oliver who is 20 weeks old.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Puppy
    Thank you all very much for the great advice! I know I will find the best training method for this young whipper snapper, I just did not want to over load him in the beginning. Like I said, my main priority right now with him is to make sure he feels loved, safe, secure, healthy, and happy.

As for my training with Sadie, I am completely consistent with her daily. Everything we do is the same. If something is not allowed, it is not allowed. If it is allowed, it is allowed. Simple and consistent. Plus, every person that is in our lives knows what she can and cannot do and expects the same. Just like kids, you set the boundaries and life is good. I like to think that is why she is just such a great and well behaved girl.

Thank you again for all your help!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to okieamber For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (01-28-2015)

House Broken
    I start out with what my ultimate goals are. I train from the beginning. When I was breeding, pups were already being trained at 6-7 weeks as far as basic commands, potty training, crate training- all individual sessions for a few minutes, multiple times a day and then in group sessions with adult dogs. Lots of praise, reward for correct behavior, obedience, etc. Do not allow anything that you do not want an 80lb dog to do. For heeling I like to start off lead by just walking in a 10-12 ft circle. pups will naturally follow, when one is at the correct position- I give the command- lean down while walking and give a treat (usually just a piece of kibble). Same for recall. I start that off lead and run the opposite way, being very excited- pups normally run to follow and see what you have. Lean down, lots of praise and reward for coming/following. Every time you watch tv or are online and an ad is on- use those few minutes to practice basic commands. Have a schedule and try to stick to it overall, makes life with a pup easier if everyone knows what is happening next.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos