Fran's cursed thyroid test.

This is so absurd that it's funny.

Last month I took Fran to our holistic vet for a checkup and adjustment. I was concerned about her appearance given that we can see her ribs pretty clearly now and I asked how she seemed to the holistic vet. The vet said that Fran was looking a little bony and wanted to get a full blood panel on her. I asked if we should send off a thyroid test to Hemopet and she said that that would be ideal.

I called my husband on the way home and asked him to call our conventional vet and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Fran is now 12 years old and has a couple of benign lumps and I just don't like to mess with these things. My husband landed an appointment for the next day at 3 pm.

I took Fran in and it turned out that she had only lost one pound since May. So clearly I'm an idiot. No doubt her body is just kind of rearranging as she ages. I went through with all of the tests anyway because she was only a few months shy of her annual appointment but also because Fran has significant anxiety about the vet and I have to fake her our every time to get her to go with them so I didn't want to compound that by bringing her back.

Three days later the blood results were in and they were perfect. I called to ask them to fax the results to our holistic vet. They said they would do that when the thyroid came back in a week.

A week and a half later I get a call from my conventional vet. They called Hemopet to find out where the results were and were told that Hemopet never got the blood. She was very apologetic and wanted me to bring Fran back for more blood. But by this time, my husband had just left for a business trip and Fran is a Daddy's girl so she was already unsettled. My husband and I talked and we decided to wait until her next appointment. I called and let the vet's office know what we wanted to do. They said they would consult with the vet and get back to me. The vet called the next day and after more apologies told me that that was fine. Two days later I received a notification of credit at the hospital.

Three days after that I get a call saying that the vet got results for Fran's thyroid test from Hemopet. More phone calls, more apologies. By now the conventional vet sounds like she just assumes that I think she screwed up massively. Fran's thyroid test is fine but the vet didn't go into detail which she usually does but that's OK because our holistic vet always goes into great detail.

I called the conventional vet's office and asked them to fax everything to our holistic vet.

Yesterday I get a call from the holistic vet. She goes into great detail all right - about Nikki's thyroid test, complete with recommendations for adjusting her dose of Soloxine. I told my husband and we just laughed. We were three weeks into this and I estimated about 15 phone calls. Just nuts. So I called the holistic vet back and laughed with her assistant while she said, "Which dog are we looking at again?"

Another round of calls. Fran is fine. Just what does it take to get a thyroid test done again?

More than a bit scary when things get mixed up like that, glad you waited it out and discovered the real story.

We had recent news coverage here of how often Pharmacies give out the wrong Rx, to humans, wrong instructions, etc. My own Vet called me early this morning to correct the instructions he put on a bottle of liquid antibiotic for Bitty cat, who had dental surgery yesterday. Of course I'd already dosed her up but at least it's a fairly minor change, 1/2 dropper not the 1/4 he wrote down. After I shake the stuff up it gets all foamy, it's hard to tell how much I'm shooting down her throat anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (01-31-2015)

What a mess? Did they get the wrong name on the blood?

Whatever, glad Fran's tests came back good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (01-31-2015)

Happy to hear Frans test was good. Wow what a mess.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

janedoe (01-31-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    What a mess? Did they get the wrong name on the blood?

Whatever, glad Fran's tests came back good.
    Thanks.

I think that the holistic vet just got it into her head that it was Nikki's test because she's hypothyroid. She assured me that Fran's name was actually on the results but who knows.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos