Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Invisible fence training with deep snow?

Any tips for training a new dog on a hidden fence when there is a few feet of snow on the ground? Was thinking maybe I'll pull the kids along the fence line while they are on a sled to pack it down a bit. They will love that!

If by chance anyone has / knows of an extra Dog Watch Collar I'll buy it.

My new little guy will be wearing Lizzie's pink collar for a while. The shame, a boy wearing a pink collar
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Hmm, that's a hard one and you may have to retrain in spring. Honestly I would use a tie out, hopefully spring isn't too far away. The reason being is that they need landmarks. Something they can see as the edge. Your idea of making a border with the sled is a great idea. So I am not sure. It definitely would be prefect but then when your training I am thinking your going to trample the snow around it and it would loose its meaning. Great idea though, just not sure how well it would work.

While I don't like tie outs sometimes they are necessary. Hopefully spring is a month away.

Can you lay some flags or markers along the line? We don't have to deal with snow here in Florida but when Daisy was trained to the fence the IF people came out and marked the lawn with flags.

LOL, the flags across the street were a foot high and most winters covered in snow and completely useless. That neighbour did tell me the fence didn't work in winter but she installed it and trained before the snow came and by winter her two little dogs didn't need the collars on. I'm not sure what kind of fence she had, some are a tone, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    LOL, the flags across the street were a foot high and most winters covered in snow and completely useless. That neighbour did tell me the fence didn't work in winter but she installed it and trained before the snow came and by winter her two little dogs didn't need the collars on. I'm not sure what kind of fence she had, some are a tone, right?
    Holy moly that's a lot of snow! I was wondering if the fence would work in the snow. Ours has a warning sound if the dog gets close and a zap if they cross it.

We just did it with Stella. I spray painted the white flags with orange or the company has orange flags and we stuck them in the snow. She got the message with no problem and the rrange contrasted with the snow.

PS: we've got well over a foot and it's still coming down.

And yes the fence works in snow. It's a radio frequency and the unit is in the basement.

Yes, the hidden fence works great in the snow for our labs.

Our Lhasa doesn't walk / run much but once in a while gets a wild hair and runs around the yard.

The new guy, Zeus oue Papillon is one fast little devil! He needs some house training, once we get that sorted out will start on the hidden fence.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

anyone have any ideas to stop a lab from walking over his fence?!?!? i think because he can just step over he figures its not really a fence anymore! i was thinking the invisible fence would maybe solve that issue - some winters theres just too much snow, and it just about covers the fence - ok while its soft and fluffy, but as soon as we get a bit warm, then a hard freeze, you may as well have built a minifence.

I like the ideas of the orange or bright coloured flags, they should stick out well

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    Yes, the hidden fence works great in the snow for our labs.

Our Lhasa doesn't walk / run much but once in a while gets a wild hair and runs around the yard.

The new guy, Zeus oue Papillon is one fast little devil! He needs some house training, once we get that sorted out will start on the hidden fence.
    Does your fence work on the big dogs and the little dogs both? The neighbour I mentionned found the setting needed for her BullMastiff (such a lovely, lovely girl, miss her) was way too high for the little Beagle sized dogs. So the big dog stayed inside all day. And the two yapper crappers drove the rest of us nuts with their incessant barking outside.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos