What I've learned...

I know its been awhile since I've posted on the board, been busy with life and my daughter. But I have not stopped doing research on Labs, so I thought I would post what I've learned and get some input on anything I may have missed.

1. Labs have an oral fixation: anything seems to be fair game as long as it fits in their mouth, and probably some that doesn't.

2. Twice a year they shed their undercoat; so prepare for desert-like scenes of balls of fur and dust bunnies abound. Plus they shed pretty much all year round, so a good brush and vacuum is a must.

3. They love everything and are super excited to meet a new person, dog, blowing leaf...

4. They are smart, and can be stubborn...more stubborn than you even. So consistent and continual training are a good way of keeping sanity.

5. They can be perpetual puppies, having the same exuberance and energy at 6 months or 6 years. So, for sanity again, plenty of exercise both mental and physical is a must.

6. They love to be with you: which includes the couch, bed, kitchen, and even the bathroom.

7. Popularity and over breeding cause a lot of health concerns; so a good breeder and clearances will help save money and heartache.

8. Labs are not for everyone, they require a lot of time and patience; especially since they are puppy-like longer, will most likely eat your house, rudely introduce themselves to every living thing, reuphoulster your furniture with their fur, and greet you with something in their mouths.

Now, while I realize this doesn't apply to every Lab, it is definitely a possibility. I've done a lot of reading on the history of the breed as well, interesting to learn that yellow was uncommon in the beginning, and I still have a lot to learn I'm sure. But for a quick run-down, did I miss anything?

A trained lab is a good lab, the rest is irrelevant.

9. IMHO, a lab is the best.

Wish many more people would research as much as you and be prepared to bring a lab into their family.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    A trained lab is a good lab, the rest is irrelevant.
    I agree, however I think far too many people get a dog and don't put in the extra effort and wonder why it's "not as well-behaved as the dog I grew up with," or even like a Lassie. After owning dogs, you start to realize how well trained (or not) other people's dogs are. I did the research and made a list of everything that would annoy most people who assume that dogs/puppies come to you almost inherently perfect and require maybe a few lessons and an obedience class. That way I can prepare myself for anything and not be surprised or even frustrated because I go in knowing the possibilities.

I realize that some dogs are just great dogs in general, but most actually take a lot of effort and devotion and time.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    9. IMHO, a lab is the best.

Wish many more people would research as much as you and be prepared to bring a lab into their family.
    To add to yours, everything that I've read also stated that Labs are the best and that the end result is worth the initial hardships (should there be any) of the beginning.

labs are dogs. first and foremost. I find much of what people say is a "lab thing" is really mostly a dog thing. Lots of dogs are mouthy and bity and put things in their mouth. But yes labs particularly can be. Lots of dogs are friendly and happy. Most of my fostesr follow me to the washroom adn all around the house. All dogs need physical and mental exercise (ok, most breeds/mixes to, I know some breeds are "lazier" per say).

I love labs and will always have one lab, but I love lots of breeds - my "second dog" will be a mix or other breed. I love the gun dogs for their looks but my current second is a herding mix. She is VERY sweet and loving just like my lab (if not more so).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

ZoeysMommy (02-03-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos