Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Throw Up for Attention?

This may sound crazy but, can dog force himself to throw up for attention? Here is why I ask:

This morning (Oliver woke up at 2:30am and I think (he may have just been up the whole time) again at 4:30am) Oliver started making the hacking sound like he was going to vomit around 5am. My first reaction was "what the f-bomb are you doing?". Then after I realized what was going on, I get out of bed, grab him by the collar and rush him to the bathroom. Well, I forgot the bathroom door was shut (since we started letting him sleep in our room, we have been shutting our bathroom door to prevent any unwanted wandering in the night) and slammed his head into the door. Oops! I get him to our tile floor, shut the door behind me, and turn on the light. He is hacking and gagging this whole time. Then I realize "bathtub!" so I drag him to our tub so he can vomit in there for easier clean up. After I get his paws on the tub, he vomits up a tiny bit of brownish phlegmy stuff, like the size of a dollar bill or smaller. After that, he looks at me and is like "oh good, you are awake! Let's get the day started!". I had to force him to lay back down until I was ready to get out of bed. Normally when he wakes up, he will lick my hand or sniff at me to let me know he is awake but will lay back down and wait for us to get up.

Is this something I should be concerned about or not? He acted just fine this morning. I fed him like normal. I haven't been home for lunch yet so hopefully he hasn't left me a huge surprise to clean up. But he can't make himself vomit, can he??
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

No. He's not doing it for attention. When mine throw up during the night, it's either to hork up something they shouldn't have eaten, such a pieces of stick, a sock, stuff like that, or they're sick. Some dogs throw up some phlegm/bile during the night due to something people refer to as empty tummy or stomach syndrome. This seems to be due to too long a wait between dinner and breakfast the next morning and is often resolved or improved with a snack before bedtime.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015), Charlotte K. (02-03-2015)

Senior Dog
    It sounds like empty tummy syndrome. Kimber started yurking up a small bit of bile in the wee hours at about this age. Try giving Oliver a small cookie or a few pieces of kibble at bedtime; that should clear it up.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015)

Theo is an empty stomach puker too. That started for him right around 20 weeks. I just hold back 1/2c. of his dinner and feed it right before bedtime.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015)

First thought is empty tummy syndrome too. Feed the dog a cookie before bedtime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015)

We will try that. Thanks!
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

We give Mocha 2-3 tablespoons of plain vanilla yogurt at bedtime. We have done this since he was puppy. He has yakked up a couple of times during the night but it as always a piece of stick or other thing he is not supposed to have.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015)

Mine pretty much know to run to the door if they need to puke. B/c nothing wakes you up out of a dead sleep more than that sound, and I usually fly out of bad, grab whoever is gagging, and rush them outside. So now if they ever have to puke in the middle of the night, they automatically jump off the bed and head for the door.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-03-2015)

Empty tummy syndrome is what came to mind first. Mardi and Archie get a before bed cookie and have not had a problem.

No dogs do not puke for attention. Dogs do not purposely do things like that simply for the sake of attention, that's a human trait

Give him something to eat before bed. Mine get a banana or an apple

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos