My dogs are driving me nuts

I hate this weather the snow I can deal with but yesterday we had snow then it got warm enough turned to rain then it got really cold and now everything is frozen. The poor dogs can't be out to run. I'm afraid of them blowing a cruciate or getting hurt with everything frozen. This morning I let them out and Benelli did a bambi. Ive been leashing him.

When I got home they were full steam ahead. All I have to say is thank god I have a basement. Its not finished but its a huge space. I did 45 mins of training then I rewarded them with playing some ball. Benelli is obsessed with playing ball so that is always his reward for his training. I always have control of the ball. He only gets them after training so its a high value reward for him.

Finally we did some find it with treats and plastic cups.

Now Gauge is sleeping and Benelli is chewing on a bone. I can't wait til warmer weather and they can get out more. We don't have many places around here I can take them. My neighborhood is small so I do take them for walks but it doesn't drain their energy even if I add some training in. At least in the spring its light out that I can take them to the park after work.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Oh my goodness! I cannot even imagine what I would do. I think you are surviving quite well considering! I have never lived in snow (yes, I know - spoiled northern California girl as I am sitting currently with the window open to allow the gentle 62 degree breeze to flow through) so I bow to your creativity in keeping the puppies occupied. I will hope for warm weather for you - if you will hope for rain for me!!
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby and Barley's Mom For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (02-04-2015)

I know how you feel!!! We haven't had the snow, but between the frozen ground, then rain, and mud, I'm scared to death to let them run in the yard. Today half the yard was frozen, and half was mud. Bruce was running with his Kong Safe Stix and hit a mud patch and went down. I was like "oh shit!" Luckily he was muddy but ok. I leashed him and Sophie and we went for a long walk. And for a Lab, especially a young one, that's not the same as RUNNING!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Know the feeling! Bless DH, he plays hard with Archie about 45 minutes every evening in the house. There's no way he can get enough walk time with this deep snow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

How about a large parking lot? Maybe an office building on a weekend? Or a church on a week day?

Parking lots are usually plowed so that might help. I visit a couple on the weekends, helps a lot.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

We basically live in the middle of nowhere. The only real parking lot around me is the shopping center and its always busy with cars. I do take them to work with me a lot. We have a lot of space. When we are busy and have dogs in the kennel their size I will have a doggie play date to tire them all out. On the weekends I normally take them to the park but right now its all frozen.

Senior Dog
    Snow. Ice. Mud. Salt (and our county uses salt with molasses...!...added so the salt is filthy, not just painful). Dogs don't like cold. Dogs don't like coats. Dogs don't want to walk in snow (although toughening up their pads and also using Musher's Secret when necessary has helped A LOT). Dogs get dirty. Coats get dirty. Walks are way too short even if ground is acceptable. And sometimes the dogs are too disgusted to even want to play hard in the house.

I. Hate. Winter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

I totally get it as it rained for what felt like months. I hope you can find a way to let them unwinde.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos