Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Necks

Turkey Necks

The boys are good about chewing their food. However, when Sam gets a turkey neck he chews it well, swallow, chews well, swallows, barfs it up, then rinse and repeat. By the time it comes back up, it's just a gooey, soft nasty mess.

He also does it with chicken quarters and some other larger cuts of meat.

Is this gulping?

Since he barfs it, I think he swallows a larger peace, he is not chewing thoroughly. Does this happen often?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I think of gulping as swallowing without chewing. Oban chews till bits are broken enough he can twist them off, then he swallows. So not only are the bones crunched, the pieces he swallows are small and none of it comes back up. What about holding on to an end yourself for a while so he is forced to wrench and twist a piece off? I started that way, wore the cotton garden gloves I bought for a rally class for grip.

I can't feed turkey necks to mine. They are too big. I don't like giving them chicken legs or thighs either. Chicken wings and necks are the best for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I can't feed turkey necks to mine. They are too big. I don't like giving them chicken legs or thighs either. Chicken wings and necks are the best for mine.
    I noticed the turkey necks from my raw supplier are way, way bigger than the ones stuffed into the body cavity of my Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys. They must be three times bigger around and they are longer. I have to cut them up. Must ask him next time where they come from. He said all his stuff is parts of the animal humans don't eat and removed before going to the store. But my holiday turkeys DO have their necks inside so where are his coming from?

Thanks for saying that, we don't do whole turkeys at Thanksgiving but I swore the necks we'd get were NOT the size that I got from my raw co-op. They were more like teradactyl necks! About a foot long and larger than pepperoni diameter, even thicker on the neck end. We finally got through them, but Dave had to use the cleaver to hack each one into 4-6 pieces.

I can't edit for some reason, I meant thick on the neck end where it attaches to the body...

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Thanks for saying that, we don't do whole turkeys at Thanksgiving but I swore the necks we'd get were NOT the size that I got from my raw co-op. They were more like teradactyl necks! About a foot long and larger than pepperoni diameter, even thicker on the neck end. We finally got through them, but Dave had to use the cleaver to hack eachone into 4-6 pieces.
    Yes, exactly. And I was thinking prehistoric too.

OK, yeah. The ones I feed are ginormous. About the size of my forearm, possibly longer. I think I will hack them up for now. The problem he has is he chews it well and then swallows it while it's still connected to a part that isn't chewed. He doesn't pull it apart. Same with chicken quarters. I think I just need to feed him smaller parts so he can chew and swallow a piece whole instead of swallowing bits of it at a time, like a snake.

House Broken
    My Lab does the same with turkey necks if I give him too large a piece. It's gross to watch so we cut the huge ones down to a more manageable size.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos