Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therapy class!

Therapy class!

Luna and I start therapy dog class March 24 and we are soon excited! It is offered through my job (I work in human services/education).

Fingers crossed she is an all star and we pass so we can go to hospitals and start visiting patients!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-06-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Yes good luck!

So excited to hear this! Please let us know how it's going. This is something I think would be great, but I'm not sure Mocha is cut out for this at his age. Perhaps when he gets older. I think this is so worthwhile. I've heard stories of people with arthritis so bad they couldn't move their hands, but they could pet a dog. Good luck to you and Luna!

That's awesome! I really want to get Sam involved, but I haven't yet. He wants to be a comfort dog in the worst way. And they are not allowed to be on a raw diet, so there's that...

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    That's awesome! I really want to get Sam involved, but I haven't yet. He wants to be a comfort dog in the worst way. And they are not allowed to be on a raw diet, so there's that...
    Our class is through TDI (Therapy Dogs International) and has no food restrictions.

All TDI Therapy Dogs are required to meet the following health requirements before being registered:

1) Annual Check-up attested to by your Veterinarian within the past year.

2) Mandatory Rabies Vaccine (1, 2, OR 3 YEAR - MUST BE GIVEN BY A VETERINARIAN)

3) An initial series of core Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus Vaccinations.

4) A negative Fecal Exam must have been done within the past year.

5) A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past year if the dog is not on a continuous heartworm preventative medication. A negative Heartworm test must have been done within the past two years if the dog is on a continuous heartworm preventative medication.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post

Delta Society is the only one I know of that does not allow a raw diet for therapy dogs. I recently mailed off paperwork for Tux, to Love on a Leash. Might be something to look into, there are local chapters throughout the country I believe. The qualifications for the St. Louis chapter, are that they are up to date on vaccines (or have positive titers), and that they have passed the CGC. Once that criteria is met, we will do a six week training course with them, and then pass an evaluation.

I did take Tux to a TDI test last year. He did pretty well but did not pass...his downfall was the part of the exam, where someone sticks a piece of food in front of the dog's face, and asks "do you want a treat?". I did not realize that would be part of the exam, I thought he'd just have to leave a piece of food that was on the floor. Being a lab, you can imagine why he failed this, lol. It's something that we just would have worked on if we had known, lots of practice needed for that.

This is awesome!!!! Therapy dogs were the highlight of my mom's days in the hospital, and it made me feel much more at ease nearly living there. Good luck to you and Luna!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Awesome! You two are going to have a great time.

Bandit never got his TDI but had already been visiting nursing homes before he joined us. We continued with those same nursing homes. Best, best of times.

The lady who did the CGC class that Bruce and Sophie did also does therapy dog training. When Sophie passed her CGC back in December the instructor said that Sophie would make a great therapy dog, as she is very out going and just loves having people loving on her. I'm seriously thinking about doing her therapy dog class with Sophie.

Keep up to date on how Luna is doing!!!!!!!!!!!

How exciting for you and Luna! Best of luck.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos