Senior Dog

Re-training recall for a senior dog with mobility issues

Kimber's 9. She knows COME. Her recall has been solid. But since her injury*, she slowed down a lot and likes to keep us within 10 feet, so we rarely had a chance or need to call out "come."

But lately, she's been playing deaf sometimes. The other day, I left Kimber outside for 30 seconds while I filled her water bowl and when I came out, she was GONE. My heart dropped, I started calling her name and yelling "COME". I rounded the house and was greatly relieved to see her at the far end, but in, our back yard, sampling the neighbor cat's leavings (ugh). I said, "Kimber" and she kept on chugging down. When I got within 10 feet of her, I said, "Kimber, come!" and she flicked an ear like, "Meh."

So obviously, her recall around other temptations is not solid, but soft and squishy. I bought some hot dogs (her high-value treat), took her into the backyard, put her in a stay, walked away a few feet, and then said, "COME!" This is how we taught her the first time around. The complication? Because of her spinal injury we're supposed to limit her running. I can only increase the distance so much before she starts running, with no care for her spine.

Other ideas for whipping her recall back into shape?

*In June 2012, while playing fetch, her back end just went out, paralyzed. The vets think her backbone hit her spine, then went back into place. With lots of rehab, she regained full use of her back right leg and about 50-75% of her back left leg. She walks with a pronounced limp but is still full of labby vim and vigor.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Dogs nearing and over 10 years have "ODP," said Dr. Lesser. That is Old Dog Privileges; sometimes it is due to mental confusion, sometimes not. At her age, she could be losing some of her hearing. A 10 foot long line might be the way to keep her truly with you. Talk to your vet about a safe harness to use to limit the creation of more spinal issues. Meanwhile, practice makes perfect. Review hand signals and add a flashlight signal for at night. Let us know how she does.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (02-05-2015)

Love the ODP!

I was thinking decreased hearing also. You might just have to keep her closer to you, within the 10 feet limit. I used the flashlight technique with Bandit when he became deaf. He learned it very fast and responded immediately by turning toward me. And do start using hand signals, whatever you want to make up will do. If Kimber's hearing wanes, you'll have a good base already in place.

Senior Dog
    Her hearing may not be as keen as when she was a pup, but she still can hear the cheese drawer in the fridge being slid open from anywhere in the house. Her recall in low-stakes situations is still fine- if we're walking around the yard and she wanders a bit farther than I'd like, all it takes is a quick, "Kimber girl, over here" and she'll come scooting on back. It's mostly poop- that she can either roll in or eat- that makes her disobedient. Poop, and prey drive kicking in. My nightmare situation is that she starts chasing the neighbor cat and in the heat of the moment, runs into the street at the wrong time.

Longer term, we do have a hand signal for recall. It came in handy when we'd go hiking by running water as the sound literally drowned out my calls.

PS Love the ODP. When she's ignoring me, I imagine her channeling Murtaugh in LETHAL WEAPON: I'm too old for this s***
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (02-08-2015)

Leashes work wonders then!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos