Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Grizzly Salmon Oil

Has anyone used this product? Has it helped with the itchiness and shedding?

Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement in Pump-Bottle Dispenser, 32 Ounces: Pet Fish Oil Nutritional Supplements: Pet Supplies: Amazon.com

When would I know if I need to use this? What I mean is, I understand puppies are itchy because they are growing and their skin is stretching and they may be extra sheddy due to getting rid of their puppy coat so at what age should I start using this? He itches his ears an awful lot and he attacks his back paws. I have switched to a lamb and rice formula kibble to see if that helps as well. Next I will try a salmon and pea recipe and rotate between the 2 from now on.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Have you checked his ears? Use a piece of gauze wrapped around your finger and swipe around, gently, inside. If his ears are inflammed, smelly or you see brown gunk on the gauze you need to see the vet. Even if you don't see or smell anything I would have the vet check his ears if there is excessive scratching. I really don't remember any puppy scratching more than normal so I don't know about the skin growing theory. (I have never heard that before!) Chewing on his feet often and itchy ears make me wonder about allergies which would be awful for a young puppy. Salmon oil is not going to help allergies and I would be very careful giving any supplements to a young puppy. JMHO.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

I have used salmon oil when chili was a pup. if i gave too much, it seamed to soften his poop. I stopped using it and havent really noticed a diff. but I have recently been giving olive oil a few times a week. honestly the only supplement I thought I saw a difference with was hylasport. I recently stopped using that after 6 months straight of using it after chili's surgery. fwiw.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

5. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

I think it's a good product, but I don't think it's going to fix anything. For example, if he has an allergy or sensitivity to what you are feeding him, it's not going to change that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Have you checked his ears? Use a piece of gauze wrapped around your finger and swipe around, gently, inside. If his ears are inflammed, smelly or you see brown gunk on the gauze you need to see the vet. Even if you don't see or smell anything I would have the vet check his ears if there is excessive scratching. I really don't remember any puppy scratching more than normal so I don't know about the skin growing theory. (I have never heard that before!) Chewing on his feet often and itchy ears make me wonder about allergies which would be awful for a young puppy. Salmon oil is not going to help allergies and I would be very careful giving any supplements to a young puppy. JMHO.
    I checked his ears yesterday actually. They don't smell and there isn't anything in them except he had cut himself and made himself bleed so there was dried blood in one ear. I cleaned that out. I guess I should take him to the vet for allergies.

Also, I thought I had read that someone said something about puppies being more itchy because of skin growing on a different thread on here? Maybe I just made that up?
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

It is more of a supplement.. the only difference I have seen is more of a sheen and softness to coats.. both my labs are 15 months and pushing 11 years. My older female has a more soft and almost thicker coat.. and again only imagine it could be combo of the supplement and the Fromm food... definitely check ears.. waged many a battle on ear infections in my time.. I actually just keep a bottle or 2 of Zymox Otic from vet on hand as a just in case.. ear cleaning is routine around here but sure sign is shaking head, itching and sniff test! the licking the paws could be allergy related or actually nothing.. I sometimes watch my older lab lick her feet after she has been knawing on a bone.. guessing there might be remnants or flavor left there.. sometimes I even wonder if it is soothing to them.. kinda like a foot/paw massage. Def get it checked out.. the only thing that would take some getting used to is the salmon kisses after dinner...lol.. ugh that fish breath right after eating is pee yew!! lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TooLabs For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

I've used it for years but remember we only have on seniors.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

Good stuff. Helps to reduce dry flaky skin.

Also use coconut oil. I alternate from one to the other as the container runs out.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KenZ71 For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    I checked his ears yesterday actually. They don't smell and there isn't anything in them except he had cut himself and made himself bleed so there was dried blood in one ear. I cleaned that out. I guess I should take him to the vet for allergies.

Also, I thought I had read that someone said something about puppies being more itchy because of skin growing on a different thread on here? Maybe I just made that up?
    Puppies are itchy little monsters. Some more than others. If he isnt scratching himself raw or chewing himself let it be. Try some natural approaches first, give him an oatmeal bath, or try rubbing some coconut oil on him or sweet almond oil. I prefer the almond oil its not as greasy. Make sure you are wiping his paws when he comes in too, that may help.

Hes to young for supplements and salmon oil wont help anyway if its true allergies

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-07-2015)

I have heard, from others on this board actually, about puppies being itchy due to growing. As for allergies, it is unusual for a puppy to show symptoms. Usually allergies aren't an issue until they are at least a year old. I use grizzly salmon oil for a variety of reasons, and if you want to try it I see nothing wrong with that. Start small, like a squirt a day. This is a bad time of year for dry skin in general, winter always is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-07-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos