Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buddy's Rattlesnake Aversion Training

We just got back from a refresher course in Rattlesnake Aversion Training for our 16 month Chocolate, Buddy. He went through the training last year at 5 months old and we really want to imprint in him that Rattlesnakes are to be avoided. Having had two of our other dogs bitten in the past to the tune of $1500 each for treatment, we've found the avoidance training a bargain at $75. For those that don't know about the aversion training, they use several live Rattlesnakes that have muzzles over their mouths so they're unable to bite. The dogs are fitted with E shock collars and led to the snakes by a trained handler in different conditions. Some are up wind so the dogs can pick up their unique scent, others are laying in the open with their rattles taped so the dog has a visual of them while others are prodded to rattle so the dog hears the sound of them. If the dog shows an interest, nears or is inquisitive they are given a training shock. They learn to associate the smell, sight or sound of the Rattlesnake as something unpleasant and to stay away from. I'm glad we took Buddy through this refresher as the first time through the course today he walked up to the first snake and ZAP! That's all it took to remind him. After that incidence there was no way the handler could get him anywhere near the rest of them. Just to be sure, they tried to take him back through awhile later and he passed with flying colors. We live in Campo in the Southern California High Desert in an area with a heavy Rattlesnake population and I can attest that once learned, this aversion training really works. I've seen my older dogs that have done this training react to Rattlesnakes they've encountered on our property. Barking, circling and letting me know something was amiss but not approaching the snakes. This training will also teach the dog owner that your dog will alert you to the snake, a nice thing if you're out hiking. As an additional protection, all of our dogs are given the Red Rock Rattlesnake Vaccine yearly to get us time to get to our vet who is 45 minutes away. While nothing's 100%, I feel this is like accident insurance. Something that you never hope to use but glad you've got if needed. Even though it's only February, the snakes are out already. A hiker in San Diego got bit last week and was airlifted out. Keeping my fingers crossed for a safe year with no snake encounters but doing anything I can to ensure the safety of my pets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ronmcq For This Useful Post:

Bamps (02-07-2015)

That's awesome, we get many here. I do Opie at home because it's so far into to anywhere that the training is available. He doesn't like snakes period. And stirs clear of them. I lost a chihuahua a few yrs back by one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

ronmcq (02-08-2015)

Have not lived in an area where this was necessary but think it is awesome idea for those in snake country.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

ronmcq (02-08-2015)

Hi Bamps, I haven't posted since the forum crash but have been following different threads. Prior to the crash there were a couple of threads about the training but haven't seen any lately so I wanted to post this in case anyone could be helped by it.
    I read your post about Guero and how Opie adopted you afterwards. Sounds like you've both been blessed and sorry for the loss of your little one. I've read the Mohave green is one of the most deadly strains and has no anti-venom.
    I'm glad the High On Kennels out here will travel our county hosting classes for their snake avoidance training and I was more than willing to make the drive for it. Thankfully the only snakes encountered last year were by me while clearing grasses and brush around the house. While working, I'll usually carry a small .38 with shot capsules I've loaded. Realizing that the snakes play a valuable part in the eco system, I'll only dispatch the ones near the house where our pets have access to leaving the rest to do their part with the rodents and such. I've brought the still moving carcasses up for the dogs to see afterwards but it's not the same as a live snake. Hope y'all stay safe and live long. Best Regards, Ron
    -diamondback2-jpg -diamondback3-jpg Abby jumped over this 4' one on a walk, I pinned it down with a stick and brought it to the house for some pictures.
    Last edited by ronmcq; 02-08-2015 at 05:50 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ronmcq For This Useful Post:

Bamps (02-09-2015)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    I need to do that with my dogs. I looked into last year.....but i keep procrastinating. Especially since I take them out hiking in desert areas often.

Senior Dog
    Is that thing still alive? Lop his head off and make a belt. Glad the training went well

Quote Originally Posted by ronmcq View Post
    Hi Bamps, I haven't posted since the forum crash but have been following different threads. Prior to the crash there were a couple of threads about the training but haven't seen any lately so I wanted to post this in case anyone could be helped by it.
    I read your post about Guero and how Opie adopted you afterwards. Sounds like you've both been blessed and sorry for the loss of your little one. I've read the Mohave green is one of the most deadly strains and has no anti-venom.
    I'm glad the High On Kennels out here will travel our county hosting classes for their snake avoidance training and I was more than willing to make the drive for it. Thankfully the only snakes encountered last year were by me while clearing grasses and brush around the house. While working, I'll usually carry a small .38 with shot capsules I've loaded. Realizing that the snakes play a valuable part in the eco system, I'll only dispatch the ones near the house where our pets have access to leaving the rest to do their part with the rodents and such. I've brought the still moving carcasses up for the dogs to see afterwards but it's not the same as a live snake. Hope y'all stay safe and live long. Best Regards, Ron
    -diamondback2-jpg -diamondback3-jpg Abby jumped over this 4' one on a walk, I pinned it down with a stick and brought it to the house for some pictures.
    Awesome! Yeah, I went out on a snake session with the Arizona Game & Fish Dept. And found out quite a bit. The Mohave (Mojave) rattlesnakes are not always green, they can look like and are often mistaken for western D'backs. The way to tell is that on the mohave, the white and black rings are not equally wide and the white is a dingy white or off white. The D'backs tend to have equally wide rings and are more brilliant white and black rings. The Mohave has two types of venom, all rattlers have the flesh eating venom but the Mohave has a second that affects the nerves system. How do you like this Arizona Black Rattlesnake I shot a photo of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

ronmcq (02-09-2015)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    This is fantastic! I don't live in an area that rattlers live HOWEVER, there are where we go hiking and camp. This would be a great thing to teach.

Awesome picture Bamps! Sorry for the misspelling on Mojave

It's spelled either way from what I've seen. The county I live in is Mohave and its spelled that way in AZ. Over in CA its Mojave. The natives it was named after were 'aha Makhav

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos