Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tried Cross Country Skiing - With Penny! (Skijoring)

After finally figuring out how to put my boots into the binding, and going back and forth in my backyard - I decided to give it a real try Walked out to the field near my house with Pen in had harness and off we went - sorta.

It was fun, but hard. Penny both helped at times, and caused me to fall at others It was hard going, we had a big snowfall and there are no trails. And - as you may have gathered from the first sentence - I have no idea what I'm doing

Must be fun when you really get going with the dog though!

I bet you laughed a lot though despite the issues!!!!!

I love cross country skiing! Luna and I went today :-) We don't go skijoring, she romps along beside me.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Do you mean you tried skiijoring? I cross country ski with the dog off leash but I've never tried skiijoring, where the dog is in harness and sometimes pulling you along. Either way I bet Penny thought it was great fun.

yes skijoring possibly not the best idea for my first outing on skis but we had fun

penny's recall is crap so she lost her off leasg time a few weeks ago after taking off on me. so off leash is not an option for us til we figure that out. again.

I have a mental picture, and I'm laughing. Good for you for trying. I'm sure Penny had fun.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

Tanya (02-09-2015)

We used to meet a man skiijoring with his Standard White Poodle. He took us by surprise several times because we wouldn't always see the white dog against the white snow at a distance. And so it would look like this man was just flowing along without moving his legs or his arms! He didn't do that a lot though, let the dog pull him. Once we even saw him skate skiing and that good sized dog was not so much pulling at all as running like mad to stay ahead of him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Tanya (02-09-2015)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Sounds fun despite the learning curve!!! Of course we want to see some pictures next time.......

hahaha i am big on taking photos but it's just me and pen when we go out and I need all my concentration to stay standing and moving so no photos for a bit

I do "canicross" with Penny (running with her on the harness). It's the same concept. The dog I think should just help propel you forward (and sometimes at speeds faster than you want) but they are not pulling dead weight I wondered as Penny is a small dog, probably at the bottom limit of what you can use at 37 or so pounds. I am short but by no means a tiny human so big weight variance. On our runs Penny always starts off really fast and I'm just barely keeping up haha

My heart breaks as Rocky can't do all of this with me. He is still active but he was so sore after the last two "light jogs" he came on that I can't do that to him. He'll be 11 in April.

Sounds like lots of fun! Good way to wear Penny out, and probably your too.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos