Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

am I the only one who is like this

My husband and I are going on vacation with friends in September to Tenn Gatlinburg and Nashville. I'm already having anxiety leaving my dogs behind. Its the first vacation we've taken in 4 or 5 years. I know the dogs will be in good hands. The two big boys are staying with my friend and the shelties are stating with their breeder the poodle is staying with my other friend who is also watching my cats. I totally trust them just its not the same as me and I'm going to miss them.

My sister asked me to meet her in Nebraska for a friend's wedding and even though her dog is not allowed at my parent's house because the cats don't like her, I am taking Oliver and not asking first. This is the first "vacation" I will be taking having a dog so I am not much help. I should mention, that my husband will be home while I go back home and he could watch the dog but....it will be best if I take the dog with me.

Also, wave when you get to TN! I live 40 miles north of Nashville. Gatlinburg is neat but takes forever to get anywhere since so many tourists go there. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun and so will your dogs. Enjoy the trip!
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Gatlinburg is my favorite place to go!! This is the 5th time. Never been to Nashville. We are renting a cabin and could take the 2 big boys with us but my husband said I need a break. He's right but I love my boys.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    LUCKILY my in laws have a lab, and our boy grew up with him...they are best friends, so they always take our boy in. My dad also takes him in. We travel out of the country for a few weeks every year and have never had a problem leaving him. My mom always takes our cat as she loves him. We all have iphones or ipads and we just facetime when we miss him. He's always in good hands and we are never worried which is PERFECT.

No you aren't alone. I have all vacations on hold because my pom is almost 17 and I refuse to leave her with anyone longer than maybe 1 or 2 nights. 2 nights is all I can do without worrying excessively right now.

Most of our trips include Zoey and our corgi anyway. I have more fun if they are with me. Its usually only my little chi and pom that we leave behind

I have not been on vacation in about four years, and I just hated leaving them that long four years ago...but it was my wedding so I had to, lol. All I do now is business trips a few times a year, no more than two nights, and my husband is home with them and is used to me calling and being neurotic about them.

Rico will be 12 I hate leaving him and worry about him the most but he will be with his breeder and I trust her to make any decisions. I have my phone and I'll bring my laptop so if needed I can call and check in. It still isn't the same as me. Of course I put human emotions on it and think they will miss me but they prob won't hahaha.

I miss Mocha, too, when we leave him. I know he's in good hands and very well taken care of. But I still miss him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (02-09-2015)

DH and I have not been on a vacation in ages. When I went to DC for my parent's funeral, DH stayed home with the furkids. I just hate leaving them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (02-09-2015)

Real Retriever
    You are not alone. Back when I had to travel frequently for work I would leave Wendy with my neighbor. He had two dogs and we sat outside for a few adult beverages just about every night while the dogs played. He would always tell me she was not a problem at all, she can stay anytime. I repayed him by keeping him in dog food and treats. She LOVED it over there! If I was cooking a long dinner and his dogs were out, Wendy would stare out the window, whining and wagging her tail. I would let her out and she would RUN over there and they all had a ball running around both yards.

Then, after a year or so of doing this he mentioned that Wendy was never an issue, he would let the dogs out and she would run around my house once then lie on the front steps while they were outside. She would never come back when called, no matter what was offered. He would just take her leash over, hook her up and she would follow him back to his place. I felt so bad! The whole time I thought she was treating it like any other night, running and playing the whole time!!!

For vacations, I plan them around my buddy. I only have one black gal at a time so lots of places are open to us that will not accept multiple dogs. I pretty much just go to the NC coast to fish. I had a list of places to stay at each one we frequented.

For things like weddings or parties, it is understood I come with a plus 1. If she is not welcome, I won't be there. Been this way since my first black gal was a pup. There never has been an issue with it either, it usually works out for the better! I take her blanket, set it down and she knows where to stay. I check on her, water, outside.... But most folks would never even know she was there. And she has been a HUGE hit at most affairs! The young crowd all know she is there and are anxious to play with her! Rather than cause trouble inside, they are all outside throwing stuff for her! Some parents are actually happy to see me arrive. "Great you are here! Can they play with the babysitter?" The children that have seen her before take great pride in showing the others the "Rules" of playing with them. Simple things like... When she comes back, you have to say Please, or she will not give you the item.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos