Pool swimming and aftercare?

Hey everyone, yesterday we went to a bbq at a friends house for memorial day and we were encouraged to bring Emma. (They all love playing with her) The house had a pool and at first Emma was a bit confused by what it was. She's only been in lakes/rivers and creeks. After some encouraging and showing her it was a body of water she was jumping in off the edge to swim with people. She was jumping in and out for a good solid hour. I actually had to pull her out and leash her up cuz I didn't want her to over work herself.

My question is what do I have to do after swimming in Cl water. I rinse her off with the hose and dried her ears as normal, but do I also need to shampoo her? Also, how safe is the Cl on her hair and skin. I know for humans its not great but its not bad, but we also shower everyday with soap and shampoo.

I consider pools to be clean, I probably wouldn't do anything. I don't even wash my guys after swimming in ponds or lakes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (05-27-2014)

Ok that's good to know. She usually get her feet rinsed after creek/lake since they get sandy and I don't want her tracking it into the house.

But since the pool as Cl I thought it might be different.

Senior Dog
    Chlorine can dry their fur out; our friends have a pool and when their lab went swimming daily, she got a bit dandruff-y. But for the occasional weekly swim, we'd just dry Kimber off and call it a day.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-27-2014), emma_Dad (05-27-2014)

House Broken
    Back when I had frequent access to a pool (my parents'), I just hosed down myself and the dogs if the pool had recently been chlorinated.

If it was shedding season, I also skimmed the water after to get the bulk of any dog hairs before they clogged the filter. It helped keep a standing invitation for swimming.

I do usually hose Hemi off after he has been swimming no matter what then dry. Lakes and so on he gets a musty and sometimes fishy smell. So a good rinse I always do. Pool I rinse out the chlorine.

If anything a quick hose-off and toweling, we usually are outside for a bit afterward so that helps with the drying. Never felt the need for soap, just a bit of "plain" water to rinse out the chlorine. My old choc boy would turn a funny shade if his fur wasn't rinsed after pool swimming but havent noticed anything with either of the yellow boys

We always give Lola a quick rinse off with a hose after swimming in the ocean or lakes. She's never been in a pool yet, but I'm guessing we'd do the same. We also use an ear rinse anytime she gets close to water, since she had a history of ear infections as a pup.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

What do you guys use for ear rinse/cleaner? and do you just squirt it in?

Quote Originally Posted by emma_Dad View Post
    What do you guys use for ear rinse/cleaner? and do you just squirt it in?
    We've tried a number of different brands with mixed result. Our vet suggested that we use the Virbac Epi-Otic solution, which really has worked well. Just squirt a little in Emma's ears and massage her ears for a good minute. Lola shakes her head like mad and rubs her ears against the couch for a few minutes, then she's fine.

Amazon.com : Virbac Epi-Otic, 8-Ounce : Pet Ear Care Supplies : Pet Supplies
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SCDoug For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (05-27-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos