Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proofing my Release word

I really need some help in this area. Does this just happen over time. I am really trying to use the word every time we are done with smal trainning things as well as longer training sessions. I have chosen free as I don't use that word in my everyday conversations.

Can anyone help with some ideas?

We've always used "Go Free!" Our last lab, however, used to jump the gun when we would say "Good Girl!", thinking we were releasing her (they both start with the "g" sound). Ellie seems to not make the connection, so we've continued with "go free." Isn't it wonderful to see them make the connection?

I use "finished", but Luna knows all of her commands with the ASL signs, which she learns way faster than verbal commands. We don't have any Deaf friends, I just use it for work, so I never run into problems.

If it helps, the ASL sign for "finished" or "all done" is your hands at your shoulders, palms facing towards you, then twist outwards and down so your palms face down and move out.

ALL DONE - ASL for all done (finish) - YouTube
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-10-2015)

I use FREE as well. I didn't proof it as I did some commands. It seems to be a word, I couple a treat with an action sometimes as well, that is so self rewarding that it didn't take much training. Now, proofing to NOT release till I said it, that took some work but since I used a treat or action reward then I just didn't reward if he jumped the gun on FREE. That was more like proofing the command SIT or STAY and I did work up to doing them in higher and higher distraction areas.

I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do. Do you think you are really needing to proof what comes before the FREE? If not, can you give an example?

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post

If it helps, the ASL sign for "finished" or "all done" is your hands at your shoulders, palms facing towards you, then twist outwards and down so your palms face down and move out.

ALL DONE - ASL for all done (finish) - YouTube
    Never thought about sighning to Molly. Great Idea once upon a time I was fluent.

Is it just a matter of time till they click?

I use "go be a dog".

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollymolly View Post
    Never thought about sighning to Molly. Great Idea once upon a time I was fluent.

Is it just a matter of time till they click?
    Any hand signal paired with a verbal command eventually will be followed. Once they have a solid understanding, try non verbal/hand commands only.

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    Any hand signal paired with a verbal command eventually will be followed. Once they have a solid understanding, try non verbal/hand commands only.
    I find Luna is faster with the hand signals than she is verbal commands. I pair them when I am teaching, but I'll try just the verbal and she looks at me. I'll do the hand signal and whoosh! There's the behavior I want.

Repetition, repetition, repetition ;-)
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-11-2015)

I do use many hand signals I also realize that I need to move my signals higher and higher till I am in a comfortable position. I still have lots of work to do. And at times wonder if I am going to fast or if I truly need to slow it down. I wonder if I m trying to teach too many things at once.

Is there a sequence to what comes first. I guess this would be a qustion for my trainer.

I don't really understand what you mean by proofing your release command... Can you explain?

I use "OK".

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos