Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You Can't Do This Too Much

How would you take that statement? Here's a clue, the Vet said it yesterday when we were discussing icing Oban's sore elbow.

Would you think, three times a day is good, five is better and eight would be great?

Or would you think she meant don't do any more than three times?

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I interpret that as you can ice it all day long and you won't be doing any harm...I think?

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    I'd phone and ask to be sure.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

I would have taken it to mean that you could do it very frequently without worry. Ice 15 minutes, off 45 minutes every hour as tolerated. That's what I would do with a postop patient. I know Theo wouldn't allow it. I tried warm compresses on his eye for a sty, and that didn't always go over well with him. Your Oban may be more compliant.

House Broken
    More is better. Pain and swelling relief from icing is less invasive than medication.

Judging by the look that passed between the Vet and the Vet Tech I'm the only client who questionned that statement. I thought you could over ice, I've been warned about it for myself. And there is a difference between short icing times many times throughout the day and leaving the ice on for a long period of time all at once. Who knew icing could be so complicated?

What I'm to do is ice five minutes at a time, several times a day, as many times as I can fit in. And they think it's not his elbow at all but a torn, strained or otherwise injured bicep or tricep and he has two little shaved patches that are both to be iced.

They have the neatest idea for the ice. They fill little dixie cups nearly full, freeze, rip the top lip off to expose the ice and then they have the cup bottom to hold onto with no gloves needed and they rub the ice surface around on the area to be iced. That's something else that's new to me, moving the ice around. Any time I've iced anything before I've just held the ice on one spot. At the same time I do leave ice gel packs on his elbow and his bone spur and those stay on one place for 10 minutes.

P.S. I just wanted to know if I was the only one who didn't understand this statement.

This reminds me of my Dad when someone would ask him to do something for them, he's say "Wouldn't care to". I never questioned it until someone asked "why not?". I thought to myself, "why not what? He said he would". Then I realized that statement could mean yes or no. But when Dad said it, it meant yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    This reminds me of my Dad when someone would ask him to do something for them, he's say "Wouldn't care to". I never questioned it until someone asked "why not?". I thought to myself, "why not what? He said he would". Then I realized that statement could mean yes or no. But when Dad said it, it meant yes.
    LOL, now I would take that as a NO. Your Dad did say "wouldn't." At least that's what you typed, is it a typo?

One icing down. One concerned cat supervised. Two other cats tried to steal the treats. One slightly bewildered dog finished a therapy session as well where he stands with his back feet up one stair level while I torment him with more treats to move his head in certain directions. Said dog will do anything to get a measley treat so was pretty compliant. We'll try to get a few more of these in later today.

I would do it the way you would do it for a human- ice for 15-20 minutes and then let it be off for 45 minutes or more between sessions. I think you can do it as often as you both can tolerate it.

How to Ice an Injury - Treatment of Inflammation

Do you have video of poor Oban standing with his back-end up a step and stretching his head to and fro for a tineey tiny bit of treat? I can just picture it, the tail slowly swishing back and forth, occasional snuffling and snorting, the kitty weaving around watching...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos