Food for Sensitive Stomach

Hi Everyone! It's been soooo long since I've posted - mostly because Mara has been such a joy in our family and I only posted when she was a piranha puppy driving me nuts! At the recommendation of the board, we've been feeding her Purina Pro Plan Sport 26/16 for a little less than a year now and she's done really well on it - side note, can't believe she's 1.5! Unrelated to her food, we've been noticing she has quite a sensitive stomach and we've made frequent visits (every 2-4 months) to the vet for vomiting and/or persistent diarrhea (5-10 consecutive days of loose poop) and she's also loosing a little weight. Now that our vet is seeing a pattern of her intermittent chronic GI upset he recommended we consider switching her to a food for sensitive stomachs - he did not recommend a specific brand and that's where you come in!

Any recommendations or experience with specific sensitive stomach dry foods?

Thanks so much for your help and input - Mara really appreciates it!!
    - she's such a piggy and is always hungry despite her upset tummy!
    Mara 8/15/2013

Hidden Content

If you are already feeding Proplan, I believe they also have a line of food for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, I think it is salmon based. I'm sure others who know will chime in.

Thanks so much shellbell! I would love to know if people have found Proplan Sensitive Skin & Stomach helpful for their labs? But also, I am not tied to the Proplan brand if others feel there is a better alternative (hills, etc.).

My yellow girl, Fannie had a sensitive stomach. I had good results using Verus Sensative Stomach. This was 5+ years ago so I have no idea what it's like now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

MainlineMara (02-11-2015)

Puppy
    I feed the Pro Plan Sensitive Skin to my guys--and they do great on it. Very pleased with the sensitive tummies and also the sensitive skinned one too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gingers Mom For This Useful Post:

MainlineMara (02-11-2015)

Well…. as a matter of fact I am starting our Boise on Natural Balance Duck and Potato starting today. She is nearly 4-1/2 but she has had two bouts of severe sickness. Once it was all vomiting issues with liver and bile acid values off the chart… but nothing else out of whack and within a couple of weeks her values resolved.

This last issue, which started last Thursday, involved severe bloody diarrhea and one vomit for a day. Boise is what we call our "cast iron dog" so when she is sick… she is SICK. This time all her bloodwork and other tests were completely normal. They gave her fluids, treated her for the remote possibility she had something like Whipworm, and also gave her acid reducers and an antibiotic. And also sent her home with a week's worth of Hills I/D. She was immediately better the next day and at our re-check today the vet said we might try putting her on a single protein, limited ingredient diet - and choose a protein that she hasn't had before. Gosh… easier said than done because we have had a varied diet … everything from Honest Kitchen to Pro Plan Sport. So we will see how this goes. The nice thing about Natural Balance is there are quite a few LID diets to choose from… bison, duck, fish, rabbit, kangaroo.

Who knows if this is what is really going on with Boise… but we certainly hope it is as simple as a food sensitivity. Of course, life would probably be a lot simpler if she didn't insist on snacking on a variety of found items on our walks and such.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FENTON ACRES For This Useful Post:

MainlineMara (02-13-2015)

I put our new rescue on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. He's doing really well on it. He was super flaky when we adopted him a month ago and now he only has a few flakes.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Niner has a sensitive stomach. He's been on PPSSS for almost 2 years now. He's done very well on it and he looks great. Charlie is on Holistic Select Anchovy Sardine and Salmon meal which is also a good food for a sensitive stomach.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy0 For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos