Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The barking dog vs the neighbors

As I began my normal morning ritual reading up on the news around the U.S. I came across an article that caught my attention.

Barking dog could cost Seattle family their home - Yahoo News

I was beyond shocked. I know we all have our own opinions over the situation.

The thing is, I can relate to the situation. I'm not sure if anyone would remember my post 2 years ago about my dog that obsessively barks. It doesn't matter where you are, what she hears, sees, thinks, or whatever. She's going to bark. I have tried training, spray collars, no-bark collars. I've watched my own training videos. She just wants to bark. Even on walks. it never fails. I have to mussel her on walks sometimes because she scares others who are walking their dog or just out for a walk. I've tried it all. When I am home and she's outside barking, I call her to come in and I'll put up the doggy door cover so she can't have access outside to annoy my neighbors. It hasn't gotten better and I don't see it getting better. I feel sorry for my neighbors because most of the people on the street I live on are retired and trying to enjoy life at home. I feel bad about it too.

So, I feel for the owners in the article. Sometimes, you CAN'T do anything to correct it. I've been trying now for 2 1/2 years.

Any thoughts or advice on the article, or even my situation would be great!! Thanks!

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Unfortunately without being able to see your dog and watch her interact, I wouldn't be able to assist you. My first plan of attack would be to hire an animal behaviorist to figure out exactly what is causing her to bark.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Labygirl (02-12-2015)

My opinion is that the people losing their home are idiots. I feel terrible for them that they are losing their house, but they're not losing their house because the dog barks. They are losing their house because they didn't respond to a lawsuit.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (02-12-2015), beth101509 (02-12-2015), Labygirl (02-12-2015), Tanya (02-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    My opinion is that the people losing their home are idiots. I feel terrible for them that they are losing their house, but they're not losing their house because the dog barks. They are losing their house because they didn't respond to a lawsuit.
    And since they ignored the lawsuit, then they probably ignored their dog, too. I feel sorry for the dog.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Labygirl (02-12-2015)

doubledip1, That was my thought as well. I can somewhat understand her the fact that she thought it was a joke. But the fact that she never looked further into the lawsuit was a bit irresponsible. I just hope the dog doesn't end up being affected by this.

xracer4844, I can't speak for Maleah (my lab) but I can say she is very vocal. She is a chatterbox. She talks to me all day everyday. Even when we're playing. If I don't throw her ball quick enough for her, she start barking aggressively. She's a bit demanding. HA, I know that must sound odd. But there is no other way to explain it. She barks at her sisters when they won't play with her, or if they are sleeping and she wants their attention. She's the most vocal dog I've ever had. I love it, but at times it can get annoying. I just hope she's not annoying my neighbors. I'd hate to be sued because of my dogs barking. I will look into finding a behaviorist. Thank you both for your input!

I know. Hopefully with the medias attention, they will recommend putting their dog in training and taking classes themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Labygirl View Post
    She talks to me all day everyday. Even when we're playing. If I don't throw her ball quick enough for her, she start barking aggressively. She's a bit demanding. HA, I know that must sound odd. But there is no other way to explain it. She barks at her sisters when they won't play with her, or if they are sleeping and she wants their attention. She's the most vocal dog I've ever had. I love it, but at times it can get annoying. I just hope she's not annoying my neighbors. I'd hate to be sued because of my dogs barking. I will look into finding a behaviorist. Thank you both for your input!
    I think she barks because it works for her and you allow her to bark at you. I would never let my dog bark at me like that for something that he wants. You might want to check NILF training.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-12-2015), Labygirl (02-12-2015), sheltieluver (02-12-2015), Tanya (02-12-2015), xracer4844 (02-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    I think she barks because it works for her and you allow her to bark at you. I would never let my dog bark at me like that for something that he wants. You might want to check NILF training.
    I completely agree with this statement. Based on what you said, your dog barks to get attention and you then give it to her. You taught your dog to bark obsessively. I personally can't stand the sound of my dog barking so anytime he does it (which is extremely rare) I correct the behavior with a "No!" or "ah ah!" and then I ignore him until he settles down.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

Labygirl (02-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    What a wonderful tip Sue-Ram. I googled NILF training and came across this link Nothing in Life is Free GREAT TIPS might I add. The one section that stood out the most to me was about EXTINCTION BURSTS. It made perfect sense. This article is very helpful in many ways. I get it and what they are implementing. I did read something that confused me a bit.

"They may or may not actually be alpha material, but having no one in the pack that is clearly the leader is a bigger problem than having the dog assume that role full time. Dogs are happiest when the pack order is stable. Tension is created by a constant fluctuation of pack leadership.
    "

I honestly can say that I don't think any of my 3 labs are the "alpha"
    What if there isn't an alpha? Or if one tries to overrule the other while the other is doing the exact same thing? Where do you go from there?!

Quote Originally Posted by Labygirl View Post
    What if there isn't an alpha? Or if one tries to overrule the other while the other is doing the exact same thing? Where do you go from there?!
    YOU are supposed to be the "alpha". Basically YOU are the leader of the household making the rules. Not the dogs. The dogs look to you for guidance and leadership. If they feel they aren't getting that, they may act out.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos