Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Any experience with Spindle cell tumor regrowth?

Hi, My 13 1/2 year old lab had a spindle cell and a mast cell tumor removed last April. The mast cell had clean margins and will not come back but the spindle cell tumor - which is on his front right leg near the elbow is now back. I was told to expect that it could happen and sometimes it could happen within a month. So - it took a lot longer than that - but it is very spongy and I am afraid that it may split open. I have been feeding him raw since the cancer in the morning and grain free in the afternoon. Overall - his health is very good. I am taking him to the vet for a check-up tomorrow - and I will ask them - but does anyone have any experience with this? I WILL not amputate his leg at this age - which has been suggested is the only way to totally remove the tumor. Thank you!
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Sorry, no advice. Sending good thoughts though!
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (02-13-2015)

So sorry. No experience but wanted to send good thoughts and mojo.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

No experience, but wanted to send some good thoughts for your old guy.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Sending good thoughts. I had a Mast Cell tumor removed from my old yellow girl, Fannie when she was 15. It was in her left armpit area. My vet said he had clear margins. He told me the one of three things could happen. Tumor would never come back. Tumor could come back. Tumor could come back with a vengeance. Six months later, it was back with a vengeance.

It's the hard part of having dogs, when they get old. I wish you all the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (02-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Sending good thoughts. I had a Mast Cell tumor removed from my old yellow girl, Fannie when she was 15. It was in her left armpit area. My vet said he had clear margins. He told me the one of three things could happen. Tumor would never come back. Tumor could come back. Tumor could come back with a vengeance. Six months later, it was back with a vengeance.

It's the hard part of having dogs, when they get old. I wish you all the best.
    Oh boy. They told me that the mast cell would be clean - but the spindle would most likely grow back. And now it has. It is not life threatening like the mast cell - but it is all scary. I would be lucky to get my Moby to 15! Good job!
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

No experience with this type of cancer, but sending you good thoughts, prayers and wine barrows full of LAB BOARD MOJO.

I HATE cancer more than I can express my feelings for it !!!!!!!!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (02-15-2015)

So I took my boy to the vet yesterday for his check up (they cannot believe he is 13 1/2 ) and we discussed the regrowth. I loved this new vet there. We were in agreement that another surgery was really not the best option but that I do have some time. She recommended that I contact a veterinarian she trained under in Sacramento who treats with an Eastern philosophy. (I know some of you may be thinking :how so California...") However, I do believe in this as I have had experience with accupuncture, etc. If she can treat with herbs and diet - then I am game. It will be cheaper in the long run than surgery, better for Moby (anesthesia is never good for older dogs) and just might slow or stop the growth. This particular vet had one experience with one dog whose owner fed it sweet potato after reading about the cancer fighting properties. This dog (who was a pug) had had about 15 mast cells removed and after the diet - had no more tumors. So - it is anecdotal - but I have just taken a sweet potato out of the microwave to mix a bit into Moby's food. Who knows. Worth a shot!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby and Barley's Mom For This Useful Post:

barry581 (02-15-2015), Dallas dawg (02-15-2015)

Have you been adding turmeric maybe? It may help with the tumour, buy you some more time.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    Have you been adding turmeric maybe? It may help with the tumour, buy you some more time.
    How much tumeric do you think I should give him? I know that it is a useful spice in Ayurvedic medicine.
    Thank you!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos