Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How much yogurt should we be giving for a yeast infection?

Hi everyone,

We're looking for a bit of advice. We have a 3-year-old black boy named Nitro. We've been dealing with on and off skin issues with him for a while now. We've been to the vet what seems like a hundred times, tried several different brands of food, different protein sources, grain-free, limited ingredient, different shampoos, different antibiotics from the vet, as well as steroids (prednisone), which I hate giving him. The vet that we have been using for many years now, I feel, has dropped the ball somewhat with us. We found out today that he has completely misdiagnosed Nitro this entire time. After having Nitro's thyroid tested about a year ago and it coming back normal from MSU, our vet decided that the best course of treatment was to keep him on long-term prednisone. He said that it is most likely some sort of allergy, but didn't recommend any allergy testing as it is very expensive and most likely wouldn't be very conclusive.

The itching completely stops while he's on the prednisone, but as soon as we stop it, he starts scratching and chewing like crazy again. The prednisone is obviously just masking the problem and not actually treating it. We went to a new vet today and they were amazing! It turns out that Nitro has a systemic yeast infection. That's probably what it has been all along and our old vet never caught it and just blamed it on allergies. Obviously, we're not very happy! After doing a lot of research online this week, I had an idea that's what it might be. The way he smells fits the description of a yeast infection perfectly. Our new vet recommended a food called NutriSource. It's a grain-free, probiotic food that we've never heard of (we've had all 3 of our dogs on Natural Balance). We couldn't find it locally, so we just ordered a bag off Amazon and it will be here on Monday. The vet also gave us a short course of prednisone. She knows how much we hate having him on it, but it's just temporary to relieve the severe itchiness while the new food has a chance to start working (he's scratched himself raw in some areas). She also recommended adding some low-fat yogurt to his diet for some extra probiotics, so we went out and bought a large container of plain Greek yogurt. I'm just wondering exactly how much yogurt we should be giving him each day as I don't believe the vet told us. I just gave him a small bowl of it and he loved it, so getting him to eat it will be no problem. We're also going to start adding some Bragg's apple cider vinegar to his water to see if that helps.

Any tips or advice on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, I don't think there are enough probiotics in yogurt to be of benefit, unless you are eating a TON of it. I'd go with an actual pro biotic capsule. I use Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life. My dog also has a history of yeast infections. I am on a FB group for yeasty dogs if you are interested in that. They have a ton of homeopathic info to offer, only thing is they are pretty strict that feeding raw is a must (which I do feed raw and agree it helps), and they don't like using any prescription meds ever (which I feel sometimes it definitely is necessary). If you are interested in joining let me know, even if you just want to join to read their posted docs, and read what other people are saying.
    Last edited by shellbell; 02-13-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Wow! Thanks for the info! That's a huge help! I had no idea there was a Facebook group for yeasty dogs! Ha! I would love to join it! This thing has been the worst battle ever. We've been dealing with it for almost 2 years now and we're livid that our old vet misdiagnosed it the entire time. I specifically asked him if it could be a yeast infection on one of our visits and he kind of just blew it off and said it was allergies as soon as his thyroid panel came back normal. I'm going to search for Primal Defense right now and order some!

Tried to private message you, but I don't think you have enough posts to get them....I was going to ask for your FB name to get you added to the group. I think you only need five posts for private messaging, if you can get that and send me a PM, if you don't want to post your FB name publicly.

Great, I sent you a friend request, I was trying to add you to the group, but I think I can only add people on my friend list.

Got it!!

I dealt with this in one of my dogs for years and years, and we never completely cleared it up. My DD has Golden with the same type issues. shellbell can you PM me the facebook info so I can forward it to my daughter????

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I dealt with this in one of my dogs for years and years, and we never completely cleared it up. My DD has Golden with the same type issues. shellbell can you PM me the facebook info so I can forward it to my daughter????
    PM sent

We're really hoping that we can get a handle on it. He's only 3 years old. I'm glad to know we're not the only ones battling this! We also have 2 goldens and neither of them have ever had problems like this. It's really frustrating! Nitro is such a great looking dog and I can't stand to see him like this.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos