Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non stop pacing

Non stop pacing

Just got my Lab, Hope a week ago. She is 6. She was a kennel dog and a hunting dog. She has always lived in the kennels. I brought her to Vancouver & I must say, she has done really well. She is very nervous at times, jumpy & clingy. I am ok with this, I know it's temporary but tonight, for 3 hours she got up, walked to my bedroom & back. Stopping to pick up a toy, bring it to her bed, chew on it, them up again repeat. I could not get her to settle. She had lots of play today + walking. It WAS the first time I left her for any long period of time earlier in the day. I was out for 3 hours. Was this the cause? Was there something I could have done? It was making me anxious.

She sounds like she does not know what to do with herself. Do you have a crate for her? I would suggest that you have one set up for her with the door open. She may feel more settled with access to a "den". Dogs with jobs -- hunting dogs, herding dogs, etc. -- have a hard time going from that to being a pet. And some dogs are hardwired to be workers. What is her job now? Even if she's not a hunting our outdoor dog, she still may need a job, or a hobby. Think of it in terms of a newly retired person who was formerly always on the go. While people often think that when they retire they will welcome lazing around for the rest of their days, usually that doesn't last long until they are doing something to keep themselves busy. Finally, she is still just getting used to the place, so there's always that. After the first week or two, the "honeymoon period" is over and their true colors start to emerge. Besides having a crate for her and a job, do not baby her when she acts this way. Babying her will only serve to make her more anxious. It's the worse thing people can do with a dog who is anxious.

Real Retriever
    I have no personal experience with adopting an older lab.

It seems like she is just trying to find out what her 'new' job is. And living in a kennel her whole life, maybe she would be happier and feel more secure in a crate? You don't have to close the door, just give that safe haven she is used to. Think about it from Hope's perspective. When she was in her 'kennel' she gets to relax and feel safe. It is her job to just be in there. When she is out of the kennel, she was hunting! It was her job to be doing something! Now she is out of a kennel the whole time, she feels she needs to be doing her job.

Give her a new 'job' to do! I would just start out by teaching her the names of everything in the house. Then ask her for stuff. "Where is this" "GOOD GIRL!!!! You got it!!!! YEAH!!!" Then move on to hide and seek. Always a huge hit in our place. Every time you do laundry, make sure you drop a couple things, she can get them and bring them to you!!! Find out what floats her boat and start there. She is 6 so has a long history of what she used to do. Start there and retrain her for what you are looking for.

Real Retriever
    Labradork, you posted while I was typing! LOL!

That is so helpful. Thank you. A lightbulb just came on for me. I totally get what you are saying. I got in touch with a Lab Retriever group to see if I could get her involved in some kind of trials or sport. I just don't know what kind of "job" she could do. Do you mean like a game or just doing more retrieving?

Great advice again. Thank you so much. I thought she would love a crate but she shied away from it. Would not go in it. Maybe a metal one

Senior Dog
    One other thing to consider since you mentioned lots of play and walking...she may have overdone it, especially if she's not used to that, and be in pain. Anxiety sometimes comes from pain.

My Sunnie is an anxious dog....6 years after rescuing her, she's still anxious. Actually, she got worse after her late-age spay (came to us pregnant). Her anxiety is definitely worse if we overdo the walking or if she seems to be slowed down after brisk playing with Dan.

Cabo lived on a tie-out his first 13 months of life. When I brought him home he paced and panted around my house for about six months.

Stella was anxious when she came to us, almost seemed to sleep with one eye open, took 2 months or so before she settled in, I also thought she responded better to a pretty consistent routine, each day pretty much the same with a new thing thrown in gradually.

Senior Dog
    I agree with everyone here.. If she was a "hunting" dog...she will need much time to settle and adjust to her new life.

She always had a "job" to do...and now she is most likely trying to figure that out. Some people say that hunting dogs may not make the best pets if she was never introduced to living inside with a family.

I don't necessarily agree with that...but I do think she needs a "job" to do..keep her "mentally" active as well as physically active.

Perhaps a basic obedience class would help. Get her out around other dogs and people.

I think she will be fine with time...this is a big adjustment for her.

I wish you all the best.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos