Puppy

Dr. Becker's Real Food For Healthy Dogs

I have been reading Dr. Becker's book and have been thinking about implementing her raw recipes in my eleven year old lab's diet. I am also looking at the best way to get my future lab puppy on raw after he gets acclimated to his new home. Has anyone read Dr. Becker's book and implemented her "take" on an appropriate raw diet for dogs?

btw, first post

Real Retriever
    After having fed both ways; kibble and raw, I will never go back to kibble.

Raw all the way in our house. It's not as difficult as most make you believe, and in ways, it's a lot cheaper as the dog actually USES up the food, meaning in the long run, it's getting all the nutrients - rather then it pooping out fillers.

Welcome to the Board. A recent thread on How do you go Raw? might help you.

To answer your question, I have not read that book. By "recipes" is it meant that the food is cooked? My friend went home cooked using the Pitcairn book ( second edition as the first uses grapes) We have gone full raw, BARF which includes fruits and vegetables. I read the Dr. Ian Billinghurst books, no cooking.

Puppy
    No, these "recipes" aren't cooked. She has designed three raw meals (chicken, beef, turkey,egg,oily fish,organ/veg/fruit) and describes a homemade vitamin mix to add to the meals to ensue that they are meeting the aafco daily minimums of esential vitamins and minerals.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    No, these "recipes" aren't cooked. She has designed three raw meals (chicken, beef, turkey,egg,oily fish,organ/veg/fruit) and describes a homemade vitamin mix to add to the meals to ensue that they are meeting the aafco daily minimums of esential vitamins and minerals.
    If you are wanting to go raw, prey model raw (PMR) goes by the guideline of 80% muscle meat/10% bone/5% liver/5% all other organ. If you follow that, you don't need any sort of vitamin mix. If you aren't able to feed a lot of grass fed red meats, then add fish oil for Omega's. I find it easier to piece together my own PMR meals, rather than following any sort of recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Well in that case I think I'd like to read that book. Is it this one?

Dr. Beckers Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats: Simple Homemade Food: 9780982533116: Books - Amazon.ca

Honestly, my Vet loaned me her Dr. Ian Billinghurst books but they were written a long time ago and I did not enjoy his writing.

What did help me was the menu lay out I think I put on the thread I linked above. And my Vet approved it.

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Well in that case I think I'd like to read that book. Is it this one?

Dr. Beckers Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats: Simple Homemade Food: 9780982533116: Books - Amazon.ca

Honestly, my Vet loaned me her Dr. Ian Billinghurst books but they were written a long time ago and I did not enjoy his writing.

What did help me was the menu lay out I think I put on the thread I linked above. And my Vet approved it.
    Yes, that's the book. If you wanted to get her take on raw feeding she post tons of videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC05...aUfWAWgJ0P-d-w

also is pretty prolific on animal wellness articles, found here:

Pet Nutrition and Animal Wellness - Mercola.com

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    If you are wanting to go raw, prey model raw (PMR) goes by the guideline of 80% muscle meat/10% bone/5% liver/5% all other organ. If you follow that, you don't need any sort of vitamin mix. If you aren't able to feed a lot of grass fed red meats, then add fish oil for Omega's. I find it easier to piece together my own PMR meals, rather than following any sort of recipe.

Hi shellbell - I have been feeding my, going on senior, lab that style of diet for going on six months ,when he started showing symptoms of arthritus. He looks way better now than he ever did on kibble. Funny thing is, however, even though he looks good I am constantly worried that my balance of nutrition is off. I'm in the mindset that quantified recipes would help me ensure I'm on the mark. Likely due to me being a newb... and a chronic worrier

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos