Liver Pumpkin Chicpea Treats

Originaly posted by Janedoe

Liver Pumpkin Chickpea Treats

I get really inexpensive beef liver from the local farmer's market and my dogs are on a grain free diet so I came up with this.

1 lb liver
    4 eggs
    1 enormous can pureed pumpkin (pure, not the pie filling)
    3-4 cups chickpea flour (recipe follows)

Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a nonstick spray.

Chop and puree the liver in a food processor. It pretty much liquifies. This is a fairly gross process and there will be stringy bits in it but your dogs will love you for it. Crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat lightly. Add the liver and pumpkin and mix. Add the chickpea flour one cup at a time and mix until the mixture is spreadable. Don't make it too thick or it will lump up. Spread to about 1/2 inch on the cookie sheet. Bake on 350 degrees F until solid, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool then flip over and peel off the foil. I use a pizza cutter to cut into squares.

The quantities and baking time can be changed as long as there is enough chickpea flour to thicken whatever ratios you use. The treats can be frozen or refrigerated. They last about five days in the fridge. When they start smelling vinegary, they're going.

Chickpea Flour

A couple of bags of dried chickpeas.

I like to dry roast the chickpeas at about 300 degree F for 5-10 minutes before I grind them up but it's not necessary. Use a food processor or spice grinder to grind them into powder. If you use a food processor, you'll have to sift out the large bits a couple of times to get them down to size.

You've been one busy treat baking Momma!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos