Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fruits and veggies?

I've started jucing for myslef and my Starla girl has taken to sitting and drooling(literally) waiting for her bits and pieces of whatever I'm jucing and I'm just wondering what fruits and veggies I should not give her? I know she can't have onions... She has a lot of allergy issues so finding treats for her is hard. I have found she lOves apples and pineapples and when I juice these I take the pulp and mix it with canned dog food, stuff her kong with it and freeze it= Starla in puppy heaven!!! I've done this with bananas as well, because I've read that these are ok. I'm just scared to go crazy because I know there are things I shouldn't give her.....

She is allergic to the following foods(we had an allergy test done) beef, lamb, sweet potato, Beets, Carrots, Peanut, Pork, Rice, Turkey, Venison

Wow that's a lot of good stuff to be alergic too. I juice as well, and know the drooling pup waiting for their fruits and veggies.

Grapes are another definite no as well as onions and definately no garlic from the juicer. Very small amounts of garlic are ok but a few cloves in the pulp would be very bad.

Beyond that, we aware of greens, not that they are bad, but like kale, spinach, broccoli can make for a very gassy dog and maybe some upset tummy.

However Carrots, celery, those things are great for dogs. When I juice I break a hunk off a carrot and slice off an apple. Peaches, pears are great. Citrus fruits like oranges, limes and lemons should be moderate. Some dogs don't like citrus but Hemi will eat a whole orange or lemon of I let him. Watermelon as well. Pretty much all your berries are good too, blueberries, strawberries, black berries etc. I really think Hemi's favorite treat in the whole world is strawberries.

A book I got a while ago that might help is Dog-Gone Good Cuisine: More Healthy, Fast, and Easy Recipes for You and Your Pooch: Gayle Pruitt, Joe Grisham: 9781250037138: Amazon.com: Books it has a ton of health recipes for you and your dog and an entire chapter on juicing recipes you can share. In the summer I make Hemi his own juice then freeze them into ice cubes to make for a great summer snack outside.

On a side note, too bad he is allergic to sweet potatoes I recently found an awesome recipe.

Peach or Pear Delight:
    1 sweet potato,
    1 1/3 cups of blueberries
    2 peaches or 2 pears
    1 apple
    dash of cinnamon.

Hemi can have this one as well.

I feed a raw, BARF, diet so fruits and veg are an important component. I bought a blender to mush them up, easier to clean than a juicer, but a juicer is the preferred appliance. I pretty well follow Jeff's list above, anything goes except grapes and onions. My dog will not eat rhubarb and I use only small bits of garlic, a bit more of the gassy veg.

Before I fed raw I would feed any of these as well, but only as a treat so not too much. They do contribute nutrients that could throw off the balance of your commercial diet, they can add fat, they can upset digestion if the dog is not used to them, they can produce diarrhoea if fed too much at once or conversely constipation from the high fibre ones. And red beets are one of my favourites for good hard chewing and as a part of the diet because they give lovely, red (scary if you don't know) pee and poop.

Mine get fruits and veges as treats or when they are begging when I am cutting up for myself.. some things they love: bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, potatoes, carrots, cucumbers (peeled of course), bits of lettuce, pears, apples, green beans, peas, corn... I try to stay away from the acidic citrus fruits for them.. although they have snagged a bite of orange before..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TooLabs For This Useful Post:

Starla (02-16-2015)

Pretty much the same as posted above. My two love fruits and veggies. I stay away from broccoli and cauliflower other than a small bit as they did make them gassy. I feel veggies are an important part of their diet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Starla (02-16-2015)

Thanks!! I will check that book out. Starla LOves oranges and strawberries, but pineapple is her favorite. I make her an ice cube treat too. I do 1 banana, 2 spoons of almond butter and 4 spoon fulls of plain Greek yogurt and freeze it in an ice tray. She loves it.
    Last edited by Starla; 02-17-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Lola loves her fruits and veggies. Frozen banana slices are her favorite. Carrots, bluberries, apples, pears are all a hit. We make a strawberry smoothie every week, and Lola is first in line for a taste. Pumpkin and organic sweet potatoes are a staple with her meals. Lola will eat greens, but they're not her favorite.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SCDoug For This Useful Post:

Starla (02-17-2015)

So if your dog had all the allergy issues mine has would you still give him/her the fruits and veggies? We did the allergy test, but they only tested a handful of foods.... So I guess I'm taking a chance feeding her random foods... But she is already so limited in what she can have. I feel bad for her....

The only way your going to know it try.

Also on a side note you mentioned almond butter. Another thing be careful of Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Starla (02-17-2015)

I googled it, this is the longest list I could find all in one place... Most sites only listed a few, while other sites listed the others...

Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Starla For This Useful Post:

loveablelab (02-17-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos