Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

drowning in dog hair

Are there any supplements or oils that are supposed to help with shedding? We brush her regularly but we are still overrun with dog hair. My last lab shed but not as much as Oakley does. Any ideas?

My guess is that your current dog has more coat than tour last dog. just keep brushing. It'll pass. Until Fall when it happens all over again!

Senior Dog
    Labs shed!!

Labs are heavy shedders. Nothing much you can do but wait it out and brush constantly. My lab sheds all year round in addition to blowing her coat

It's so frigid outside today so I brushed both Mardi and Archie inside. Talk about fur, a lab and a GSD!

If you can, a daily brushing with a Zoom Groom really helps keep caught up on the shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    Labs are heavy shedders. Nothing much you can do but wait it out and brush constantly. My lab sheds all year round in addition to blowing her coat
    We take Mocha out on the deck to zoomgroom/Furminator and we still vacuum every day!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

I probably sound like a broken record but here goes. I feed Fromm 4 Star, mostly the grain free, and Sophie and Bruce shed was less than any Lab I've ever had, and I've had eight before Sophie and Bruce. I even put our cat, Clarence on grain free about 6 months ago, and he sheds much less than he used too. Other than some greek yogurt, eggs yolks, and salmon scraps I don't feed any other supplements. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I probably sound like a broken record but here goes. I feed Fromm 4 Star, mostly the grain free, and Sophie and Bruce shed was less than any Lab I've ever had, and I've had eight before Sophie and Bruce. I even put our cat, Clarence on grain free about 6 months ago, and he sheds much less than he used too. Other than some greek yogurt, eggs yolks, and salmon scraps I don't feed any other supplements. YMMV.
    I've been feeding grain-free since the late 90s. Now I feed raw -- even with mackerel and raw eggs on a regular basis. I still go through a vacuum bag every week, and that's after picking up the clumps by hand. Granted, I don't brush as often as I should... The cat is also on grain-free and sheds a lot.

The black Lab blows his coat twice a year with mild shedding in between. He has a coat like a black bear. He starts dumping his coat, I swear, right after the shortest day of the year and the longest day of the year. Clockwork.

The yellow just sheds all. the. time. Particularly bad in the late winter and late summer, but not as obvious of a start as my black Lab. He also has a really heavy coat, but not as heavy as the black Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    I've been feeding grain-free since the late 90s. Now I feed raw -- even with mackerel and raw eggs on a regular basis. I still go through a vacuum bag every week, and that's after picking up the clumps by hand. Granted, I don't brush as often as I should... The cat is also on grain-free and sheds a lot.

The black Lab blows his coat twice a year with mild shedding in between. He has a coat like a black bear. He starts dumping his coat, I swear, right after the shortest day of the year and the longest day of the year. Clockwork.

The yellow just sheds all. the. time. Particularly bad in the late winter and late summer, but not as obvious of a start as my black Lab. He also has a really heavy coat, but not as heavy as the black Lab.
    I really can't explain it with my two. They do shed, but nothing like the other Labs we've had. Noah, my chocolate boy shed like mad, I'd furminate him every couple days in the summer, and I swear I'd have a grocery bag full of fur every time. He had a proper thick double coat, but it wasn't any heavier than Sophie's or Bruce's. I've never brushed either of the dogs, which is a first. I don't have much carpet in the house, only 3 rooms, and a vacuum bag will last a month or more.

I just figured it was the food. Who knows?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    I really can't explain it with my two. They do shed, but nothing like the other Labs we've had. Noah, my chocolate boy shed like mad, I'd furminate him every couple days in the summer, and I swear I'd have a grocery bag full of fur every time. He had a proper thick double coat, but it wasn't any heavier than Sophie's or Bruce's. I've never brushed either of the dogs, which is a first. I don't have much carpet in the house, only 3 rooms, and a vacuum bag will last a month or more.

I just figured it was the food. Who knows?!?!
    My first Lab, who was also on grain free when it first became popular due to some allergies didn't shed a lot. It all stuck to him though. His coat was somewhat oily. He had an OK coat, but not quite like my two now. I could brush him forever and it would come out in clumps. His undercoat, anyway. I guess it would have fallen out eventually if I'd have left it, but he looked diseased. I think they are all just different and you are on a lucky streak while I am on an unlucky streak. My yellow is like Pig Pen. He moves, shakes, or you touch him and yellow hair is everywhere and it follows him, too!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos