Murphy's First Agility Trial - For real this time

Some of you may remember that I posted back in December about Murphy's first trial...well, I chickened out. BUT, this past weekend we finally attended our first trial. It was a NADAC competition in our area. They have about 6-7 a year. They usually run Fri, Sat, and Sun...I could only attend on Sunday because of work on Fri & Sat.

So, how was it you ask? CRAZY!!! It took place on a county fair ground, in a dirt arena where they also show horses and cattle I believe. Yes, Murphy's nose and other senses were in overdrive! We entered in Jumpers, Tunnelers, and Reg 1 & 2. The Jumpers and Tunnelers runs were OK - no Q's - but I at least kept him near me. I'll post videos at the bottom.

The Reg 1 & 2 were not fun. He refused the A-frame and the Dog Walk. They are covered in Black contacts where the ones we train on in class are AKC colors, there was one tunnel he just didn't like and refused to go into on both runs (he was fine with the other 2 tunnels on the course), he's normally pretty solid for a young dog on his weave pole entries and he consistently went in on the wrong side. And after all that, I'm sure he was very anxious at the end of the run...and then the zoomies came out! LOOSE DOG yells the line manager. Yep, that was me.

But, looking at the positive, he's just about to turn 2 years old and this was his first time doing any agility in a new environment, so I am proud of how he did on the jumpers and tunnelers. He only had one wrong tunnel on the tunnelers course. No Q's for the day. I do believe that we had fun...so I plan on being back for all 3 days of competition at the next trial in March. Hopefully by doing 3 days in a row, he will settle in a little more and get used to the environment.

TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
    1. Do you think I should skip the Reg 1 and 2 at the next trial? It seemed to stress him out quite a bit and maybe it would be better to get a little more experience in a different environment by sticking to jumpers and tunnelers and maybe hoopers?
    2. I need an easier leash to get on him. The buckle leash was a pain to get on him at the end of the run and twice he got away from me causing the LOOSE DOG and zoomies. I need something quick and easy - recommendations?

Here's his jumpers run, hope you can see it:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...53034654014411

Here's his tunnelers run:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...55308688295180

Thanks for reading and viewing!!!

What I see is you and Murphy having fun and learning. That's the way to learn. With more exposure and practice, he'll improve.

Yay for doing your first trial! I’ve been taking agility classes with Cabo for awhile, but I don’t know when we’d be ready for a trial (mainly due to some of his behavior issues). For an easier leash, maybe look into a slip lead? I use them when I do Barn Hunt since it is easier since the dogs have to run naked. But you can easily use one for agility, and it wouldn’t attach to the collar at all.

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    Yay for doing your first trial! I’ve been taking agility classes with Cabo for awhile, but I don’t know when we’d be ready for a trial (mainly due to some of his behavior issues). For an easier leash, maybe look into a slip lead? I use them when I do Barn Hunt since it is easier since the dogs have to run naked. But you can easily use one for agility, and it wouldn’t attach to the collar at all.
    Thanks Shellbell...in NADAC competition, the dog isn't allowed to even wear a collar. So a slip lead sounds like just the thing. Is this the type of slip lead that you are talking about:
    Amazon.com: Pet Dog Nylon Adjustable Loop Slip Leash Rope Lead 1.2m: Pet Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy030813 View Post
    Thanks Shellbell...in NADAC competition, the dog isn't allowed to even wear a collar. So a slip lead sounds like just the thing. Is this the type of slip lead that you are talking about:
    Amazon.com: Pet Dog Nylon Adjustable Loop Slip Leash Rope Lead 1.2m: Pet Supplies

Yep that's it! Very easy to get on and off quickly.

Or use some type of martingale on a regular leash. I do that a lot. can be a straight material martingale but quick to slip on and depending on the dog can be a bit better/safer than a slip lead (dependign how they are on leash and on the slip lead). I leave the collar on the leash.

Sounds like quite the experience! I don't think we'll be competing this year (maybe a fun trial at the end of the summer dependign how training goes). We trained may-sept last year and stop for the winter. Hopefully we start may-june again. Penny can't wait

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos