Thread: Supplement plan

Supplement plan

So I read an article saying that if you supplement fish oil you should also give vitamin e because the oil can lower the vitamin e amounts in the body. This got me to researching supplements as well as which foods will provide which vitamins.

Here's what I think I've figured out: a decent variety of meats, one meal of liver per week, one meal of green tripe per week, and supplementing with salmon oil, alfalfa powder, kelp and spirulina should provide the entire spectrum of vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, etc., even without feeding vegetables (which I will probably still do even if just as filler since he needs to drop some weight).

Two questions though:
    1) Does anyone disagree with my assessment?
    2) Would the vitamin e provided in the alfalfa and spirulina be sufficient with the fish oil or should I still supplement straight vitamin e?

One of the sources of my research: Raw Diets For Dogs: Getting Enough Vitamins And Minerals - Dogs Naturally Magazine
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

I would be careful to feed a meal of liver….you might end up with major canon butt! I’m pretty sure I would with mine if I fed them a week’s worth of liver all at once. But I do know people who prefer to feed an organ meal and be done with it. I find it better for mine to feed a little bit of liver at a time, usually I add a couple ounces of it to about 3-4 meals a week. You are probably fine on the E if you are feeding things that contain it. I also feed spirulina. For my own peace of mind though, I do through in a vitamin E capsule a couple times a week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Carlos (02-17-2015)

House Broken
    We use salmon oil and vitamin e together and then also supplement with Springtime "Longevity" which has spirulina, kelp and a laundry list of other stuff. We routinely feed green tripe, pork, chicken and beef. We add in other proteins on a rotational basis. I have heard that raw prey model doesn't need supplements but it's a hard habit to stop.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelly For This Useful Post:

Carlos (02-17-2015)

Shelly, I use Longevity too! Love it.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely keep that in mind when I introduce liver. I'll probably start off splitting it up and gradually work towards fewer meals and larger servings as long as his system is able to handle it.

And I'll definitely check out longevity. Sounds a lot better than getting all those things separately.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

House Broken
    That's exactly why we switched to longevity. The jugs of supplements that had to be refrigerated were taking over in our fridge! It seems like a lot of powder if you have a large dog but we use it at both meals and they love it. Also it is very green but the dogs don't mind.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelly For This Useful Post:

Carlos (02-17-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos