New dog: fear barking when left with sister

I have had my dog one week. she is from a hunting kennel, has never lived inside. She is a really good dog but last night my sister came over. We met her at the outside door, she barked at her. Then we went inside, she barked at her. She eventually settled down. I had to go out so I left her with my sister. She started barking at her, backing up while, barking, growling etc. she wouldn't stop so my sister who doesn't know anything about dogs, went and got my neighbor. then she was fine. Was it my sisters energy, or was it fear barking? Maybe she decided she was in charge.
    I know everything is new to her so maybe it's a one off thing.

It could have been all of the above. Without knowing the dog its hard to say. She is new to you, she is new to everything. How is she with strangers in general?

She is somewhat suspicious with new people especially men. Mostly sort of skulks down a bit. It depends on the circumstance. If she is totally surprised & they walk into the house or office she will bark.

I would be slower to introduce and leave her with new people. She clearly wasn't comfortable. Some group classes and some intense, positive socialization would be beneficial too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (02-17-2015)

Senior Dog
    I wouldn't leave her alone with anyone new, either, but it could easily have been something about your sister that she just didn't like. The fact that she acted up the minute she met her and not just when you left them alone together makes me think this.

I've been called "the dog whisperer" by quite a few people...dogs love me (I'm one of those folks who likes getting my face licked, etc., and make a fuss over people's dogs)...but there was one dog who growled at me the first time I met her and never accepted me over the years that my neighbors had her. Molly looked like a Corgi mix...a rescue...and accepted everyone else although was not really an enthusiastic people-greeter. There was just something about me that she didn't like...we always presumed that I reminded her of someone she'd had problems with in the past.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos