Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

e collar for recall

I've really resisted the e-collar. Archie has been in training with a positive reinforcement trainer since he was 12 weeks. He knows his recall word, he's solid, we've practiced and practiced. Now the catch - he will not recall if he sees another dog. This means that we are really limited on where we can let him off leash, which is such a shame. I love hiking and it's a bummer to have to have him on leash all the time.

so, here are my main 2 questions:

1. If he already has a recall word that he knows, is there a way to combine the e-collar with the word to reinforce recall and get him coming back more reliably? I don't want to start back at square one, so I need help with the steps to use the e-collar to remind him that "here" means come back, no matter what you spot in the distance. I know that there is a member on here who has youtube videos, but I have a hard time learning from videos (as weird as that sounds). Written instructions help me way more.
    No, my trainer won't help with this. She's very against any negative corrections.

2. where in the heck do you buy an e-collar in Ontario? Is it just me, or are they hard to come by around here? I could even cross the border into the buffalo area if I needed to, but where would I find a good one?

Thanks everyone!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

did you ask your trainer for a discount since they cant train archie to be recalled offleash around other dogs? sarcasm...sorry.

for me and chili the ecollar is pretty much only used when he is offleash around other dogs. The vibrate/page button only has one meaning to chili and that is to return to me. I dont have to say anything. But when I was introducing the collar, I used verbal commands in combination with the vibrate button. after all the training chili has had with the collar, I would say his recall without the collar is alot better, but not guaranteed around other dogs...maybe 80% now which is still too low, so he still gets the collar...hopefully someday he wont have to wear the collar, but its great to know that it works and is reliable. honestly, most of the time the remote stays in my pocket and never gets used.

so short answer 1. yes 2. online retailers? not from your area, dont know.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

3. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Archie (05-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    did you ask your trainer for a discount since they cant train archie to be recalled offleash around other dogs? sarcasm...sorry.
    Ha! Well, I know positive reinforcement training has some limitations, such as absolute reliability around distractions. BUT it was really important to me to use positive reinforcement with Archie, and from there determine where more drastic measures were needed. Turns out, recall is the only area.

Around here, I find there are two types of trainers - positive reinforcement people who compete and are really great at working with young dogs, and the prong collar, harsh correction, be the alpha types. I went with option A. No regrets
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

I have used an e collar for recall. I was working with a professional trainer and he suggested two things. Have your positive reinforcement with you (treats) and the e collar. It works best if there are two or three of you (we live on a cul-de-sac so my son walked up near the outlet to be there in case Bogey bolted), the trainer took Bogey down to the end of the cul-de-sac and I was a house or two up. I called Bogey (no use of e collar). If he came, great, if not, call again and nick with the e collar once. If he starts coming, discontinue e collar and increase verbal "yes" and "good boy" but if he strays, call and nick. Once with you, give a treat (although it isn't necessary to give a treat each time).

I use the dogtra Element 300 M e collar.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BogeyBaby For This Useful Post:

Archie (05-27-2014)

I don't necessarily see the eCollar as negative because we use it to get his attention. When he's distracted, it breaks the distraction and then we give the command. When he obeys, reward like crazy. We either use the beep or vibrate to get his attention, call him and then reward like crazy when he comes back.

I've found 2 situations where it doesn't work at all. 1. When I leave it hanging on the hook in the house. 2. When it's not charged.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Archie (05-27-2014)

Puppy
    im getting on this week. Might pay to have a trainer spend a hour with me to show me how to use it

Sportdog 825. got ours at cabelas.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Puppy
    We lost so many threads on e-collars and also threads on e-collar converts when the server crashed. Might be able to find some cached around the web, specific to the board. I think the converts found out something similar to what you're finding with your dog. When the distraction is better than the treat, guess which one the dog is going to pick? The e-collar introduces a consequence, either with a zap or some wierd (to the dog) vibration around the neck. The dog then learns to avoid the consequence, kinda similar to humans. Glad you're realizing the limitations of treat training and I hope you continue the research further to realize that there are many many happy dogs out there that have been trained with an e-collar. It really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It is a tool and any tool can be abused. Many people are surprised at the efficiency of the tool too. You can have noticeable results in a few days. With continued training in different areas, you may be called a smart *ss by a park ranger. He came over to gripe at me about the dog being off leash in a leash required park. I saw him coming and used a hand signal for the dog. By the time the park ranger got to me, the dog was sitting nicely by my side. Him: You know leashes are required? I held up the transmitter and said, I have one. That's when he called me a smart *ss, lol.

My cousins in Ontario used to setup PO Boxes in Buffalo and have stuff delivered there. If it was something they'd get taxed heavily on, they'd just take it out of the box and pack it in luggage. If questioned, they took with them to show family or some other story. Customs can be unpredictable though. I had one agent ask me six times who rented the car. I answered the same way six times, lol. ME!

Voodoo, had me cracking up with the sarcasm. The truth is, most people who are determined to get their dogs trained reach a point of frustration where they actually start looking at other options. For me, been there many times. Deal with enough dogs and there will always be one that tests everything you know and then some. (That's where we learn new stuff, like that thread I posted where I used an e-collar on an aggressive dog.)

Thanks for all the input!

I'm still having such a hard time actually buying one of these darn things though. PO box isn't an option - too expensive. I'm better off just driving over the border and buying something.

Any stores in the Buffalo/Amherst area that anyone knows of, or anything worth buying on Amazon?
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post

Any stores in the Buffalo/Amherst area that anyone knows of, or anything worth buying on Amazon?
    Gander Mountain? I know they carry some,including Dogtra. There's one in Tonawanda.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos