Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

visiting friends' new puppy - can we bring our dogs?

out of state friends just got an 8 week old lab pup. We had been planning a visit, but pup (who we'd love to meet) presents question. Our 2 dogs (ages 7 & 14) r current on vaccinations & well behaved, comfortable at this house; but should the puppy meet other dogs before finishing vaccination series (could r dogs somehow infect this dog?) Been 14 years since we've had a pup, so kinda forgot protocol

Prior to finishing our girl's puppy vaccination schedule, we invited over to our house every healthy, vaccinated, puppy friendly adult dog we knew. We wanted to be sure to get a jump start on socialization and give her someone other than just us to play and interact with (she was very bored during that sequester period). The only special precaution we took is that we asked every owner to wipe their dog's feet down with baby wipes before entering, as I didn't want them accidentally tracking Parvo into the house (during this time, we were also a shoes off household). Honestly, I was more concerned with the temperament of the adult dogs meeting her than a communicable disease. Some adult dogs just can't stand puppies, with their exuberant energy, poor social skills, and total lack of bite inhibition.

There shouldn't be a problem.

Shouldn't be an issue just make sure they aren't all left alone and that the older dogs get a break. Pups can be trying even on other dogs.

Puppy
    thanks for the replies!
    At what age typically will puppy's immunizations be completed? (we will ask owner when done)
    Husband is thinking he'd hate it if pup got sick after our dogs visited, even if not their fault; we are thinking of waiting until pup is "safe"---even thu we are dying to meet/play with the little monster.

Luna was done at 16 weeks.

It shouldn't be a problem, but for extra precaution, I would stay away from the vet's office, dog parks, pet stores, anywhere dogs can be for a week before your visit.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (02-18-2015)

lots of great tips above.

I will add - probably best to intro one dog at a time to the puppy to not overwhelm them. Also, even dogs "good with dogs" can soemtimes be...annoyed by puppies. Best to really monitor body language and as others mentionned, lots of breaks. Lots of people are surprised how their dogs behave with such young puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    Luna was done at 16 weeks.

It shouldn't be a problem, but for extra precaution, I would stay away from the vet's office, dog parks, pet stores, anywhere dogs can be for a week before your visit.

So would you guys invite only non dog-park going dogs (or that haven't been to the park in a few weeks) to visit your puppy? Just never clear where the line is there. or as long as they didn't come straight from the dog park it's all good? (not saying OP's dogs are dog park dogs, just asking for general information).

Tux has a Presa Canario friend who he has been playing with since she was three months old and already almost as big as him. Now at six months she is definitely bigger and still growing. I always tell him, “she may be big, but she is just a baby!”. It is funny b/c she will run after him head butting him and trying to get him to play and he is great with her but sometimes just ignores her. I tell him to quit being an old man and go play, haha. But yeah, we are talking small spurts of time, usually before Barn Hunt practice as she belongs to my trainer and we get there about 15 minutes early to let them play. My trainer’s breeder will actually sometimes send puppies to her just for getting them socialized, since that is what she does for a living. She loves Tux b/c he is a great puppy socializer, since he is gentle and puts up with a lot.

But yes, puppies can be overwhelming and make even a friendly dog crabby. And I really would not worry about your vaccinated healthy dogs being a health hazard to the puppy. It would be a great opportunity for the puppy to socialize.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    So would you guys invite only non dog-park going dogs (or that haven't been to the park in a few weeks) to visit your puppy? Just never clear where the line is there. or as long as they didn't come straight from the dog park it's all good? (not saying OP's dogs are dog park dogs, just asking for general information).
    I would invite dogs that go to the dog park to visit my puppy, as long as they hadn't been in the past 7 days. So here's an example with 2 fake dogs, Fido and Spot.
    Let's assume they both received at minimum their full puppy series and their 1 year boosters and are current on rabies. I don't care if they don't get distemper, bordetella, lyme etc. every year, every 3 years, etc. as long as they had their full puppy series and the 1 year DHPP booster.

Fido:
    Never goes to dog parks, but went to Petsmart on Wednesday 2/18

Spot:
    Goes to the dog park frequently, but hasn't gone since 2/14

Let's say the visit to my house is this Saturday, 2/21. I would allow Spot to come, but not Fido. Spot is the one that goes to dog parks, but Fido went to the pet store 3 days ago.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (02-20-2015)

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    This is the decision of the pup owner. I agree with no recent vet visits, petsmart, dog parks, etc. If the pup has its 3 series of puppy shots up to age 16 weeks it should be safe. I believe the rule of thumb is 2 weeks after last vaccine (at 16 weeks of age) is safe.

Take a spray bottle of 50% Listerine (the regular formula) and 50% water and spray your dogs down in the car before letting them on the property (including bottom of their feet) for an extra precaution. It will not hurt their coat or make them stink.

When and "if" I decide to let buyers visit my pups I use the Listerine spray on their hands cloths and bottom of their shoes.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos