Unintentional Training

We all have stories about how we've unintentionally trained our dogs to do something. When we are getting ready to go somewhere and say "Ready to go" to each other, then Mocha goes to his kennel. Today, I was cleaning up in the kitchen and putting groceries away. Open the freezer and Mocha goes to get something out of the door. "No" is my first reaction and he backs off. Then I look and it's a frozen kong with peanut butter. "Oh, you can have that - Yes" and he happily takes the kong. I usually have these and give them to him when I'm in my home office and need him to be quiet and occupied. So, I'm in the kitchen and I look around - where's Mocha. I go looking for him and he's in my office eating/playing with his kong! Did I inadvertently teach him that when I give him a frozen kong, it's to be eaten in the office? What a smart dog!!

I think it'd be fun to hear what your dogs have inadvertently learned.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-19-2015)

When Daisy was a pup she used to like to lay in front of the fridge. I would say "move" as I opened the door and she eventually learned it as a command.

My dachshund is a shameless beggar. Hunter used to tell her to go lie down in her bed and he would give her food as a treat. Now when we eat she runs to her bed, just waiting for something to be tossed her way. During Christmas the tree got placed where her bed usually goes. So what did Lily do? She laid on the tree skirt waiting for her treats!

I know there are others those are just the two I can think of off the top of my head.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-19-2015)

Yeah, every time I walk in the pantry, where the treats are kept, I have two furry shadows.

"Where's the other one?" means that whoever isn't in the room needs to come into the room. This works better than calling them by name so clearly my dogs are group oriented. Actually, I think they think they might be missing something.

Senior Dog
    During Mommy-Daddy alone time , Kimber gets crated with an appropriate handful of treats. So when DH an I hug or kiss, she IMMEDIATELY runs off and crates herself. But sometimes a hug is just a hug, and then she comes trotting out, all, "Hey, folks, where are my treats?" Makes us laugh, every time.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    During Mommy-Daddy alone time , Kimber gets crated with an appropriate handful of treats. So when DH an I hug or kiss, she IMMEDIATELY runs off and crates herself. But sometimes a hug is just a hug, and then she comes trotting out, all, "Hey, folks, where are my treats?" Makes us laugh, every time.
    Hilarious. Good girl Kimber. Luna lays outside the door and cries, she hates it. So she usually has a sleepover at her friend's house! ;-)
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    Now that's funny right there!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos