Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weird things your dog is wary of

Ever since we found Coley when she was 10 months old she has been afraid of long things. The ultimate long thing to be afraid of for her is the tape measure. If anyone, anywhere gets a tape measure out, and even just pulls it out an inch, she is out of the room, peeking around to door to see if it is safe. Unluckily for her my husband and I are pretty serious DIYers living in an old house. Hopefully someday she'll get over it.

Chase isn't fond of doorways between rooms, particularly if there's anything even slightly blocking it or if a baby gate is propped near it but not even blocking any of it. I guess I've knocked over baby gates often enough that he's afraid he'll knock it over himself. He scrambles through like something is going to attack him. Not all doorways, only if there's some potential attack item nearby.

My sister's dog was scared to death of the sound or action of her shaking out clothes prior to folding them. Flap a shirt in his direction and he'd zoom out of the room so fast you'd wonder if he'd been there in the first place.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Oliver is not fond of the vacuum cleaner or my hair dryer. He face planted into my bed twice trying to get away from the vacuum cleaner that was in a completely different room.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Zoey is afraid of large, blow up Santas and motorcycles

I have a heating pad that has corn inside, you put it in the microwave to get it hot. Sam runs away from it every time he sees it. I think he stuck his nose in it once when it was warm and didn't like the feeling. It couldn't have hurt him, it wasn't hot enough for that, but I guess he's gonna stay far away from it now just in case.

Plastic bags blowing in the wind get him a little spooked too. But I can understand that. He got startled by one stuck in a tree once when were out at walking at night and he jumped back and growled a little. My heart actually skipped a beat because I couldn't figure out what could make him react like that. I thought there was something really scary in the shadows that I couldn't see. When I realized it was the bag I felt pretty silly.

With all the dogs I've had, there are many.

My old gal Lady was afraid of the Orange vacuum. It was a pull along type, and she wouldn't go near it. The upright was no problem, but if I didn't want her to go upstairs, I'd put the vacuum in front of the stairs.

My old gal Sandy hated the vacuum. Any vacuum. One time, she busted down the door to the bathroom to go hide between my husband's legs (he was ahem, indisposed at the time) to get away from it.

Hayley, a gal I had for a little while, was adopted in the winter. In the spring, when the plow came off the truck and was put in its storage spot, she was terrified of it. She came running to the deck and barked and barked at it. It took me a while to figure that one out.

My old Jessie had many fears. But she would just shut down if encountering loud noises. Doesn't matter which kind, loud noise was not for her. But she hated snowmobiles. We live next to a snowmobile trail, and that was her thing, to go to her boundary and bark them off.

Abby, has a number of silly fears. She usually gets over them. But the funniest was the ceiling dog, which only came out at night. Ceiling dog was her reflection in the kitchen skylight, and she was alternately fearful of it, or would stand up and bark at it. Watching her eat was hilarious, because she'd keep checking to see if Ceiling Dog was going to come down and get her food.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

The vacuum, but only if it's on. The drill, if it's on. My battery-operated toothbrush, if it's on. Sometimes stairs.

Heavy equipment ! We go on a lot of walks on trails and occasionally come upon a bulldozer or backhoe - and brutie gives the most aggressive bark I've ever heard- like he has just seen a space alien. It's hard to calm him down the hair on his back stands up.

My newfoundland Heidi is afraid of the blender whenever I make a smoothie she runs in the other room.

In the neighborhood, someone had a cow statue, about calf size. Potion never got used to it even though the owner invited us in the yard so she could check it out.

Neither Mardi or Archie are bothered by the vacuum, in fact I have to move them to vacuum underneath them. But, if the cord is laying out, Mardi will cross it, Archie will not.

If I'm cleaning the kitchen floor all that needs to be done is place the bottle of ear cleaner in the doorway. Neither will come near, LOL.

Archie was not socialized outside his kennel situation at all, everything has been new to him. It's been a tall learning curve for him but so far so good. Given encouragement, he is OK. He still will not go down a flight of stairs. Going to work on that this summer. He has no problem getting off the deck because we have the ramp for Mardi.

Charlie is afraid of the broom. I had leaned it against the counter one day and it fell over making a loud noise. Ever since then, it has been known as the "scary broom". That term can also apply to the sponge mop and the swifter.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos