Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy nipping

House Broken

Puppy nipping

Oakley is 10 1/2 weeks old. We got her at 7 weeks. She's doing great but the biting is driving us crazy. She has plenty of toys and chews but she seems to prefer our skin. We have tried redirecting, holding her mouth closed (softly) and saying "no bite", ignoring her...sometimes she comes at us even harder because she thinks we are playing. Lately when she gets wound up I have been putting her in the crate for a time out. I haven't had her out of our yard or playing with other dogs yet because of parvo here. She will be starting puppy classes on June 14! Can't wait for that. Any suggestions? How long does this stage last?

probably 3 more months or so. i have curled their own lips around their front teeth which helped a bit. I was just happy when it was over. now all i get is licks.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Mocha was about 5 months when all my wounds started healing. He was just a shark! Just be consistent. We did just about everything that was recommended, lip curling, NO!, "Ouch", crate time out, redirection, substitute a toy. One thing I stopped doing was getting on the same level as him. No playing in the floor. It just riled him up so much! Now, at 10 months, I can get on eye level or in the floor with him.

Senior Dog
    yup, and you got her a bit too young as well, which believe it or not, does make some difference as that's when the momma bites her back.
    give it time, keep up what you are doing, and it will stop.
    i thought at times, eli (frenchie) was part shark. and not as smart (sorry, i cant lie) as a lab so i will say i have said NO BITE and exchanged my body parts for his bone, about 7000 times, so far. it will get better.

House Broken
    Thanks. I haven't tried the lip curling yet but I'll give it a try. Can't wait for those sweet kisses to come!!

House Broken
    You could be right about getting down on the floor with her. I usually don't last very long on the floor with her because she does seem to get pretty riled up so I get up and stop the play. I'll take your advice and stay off the floor. Thanks!

House Broken
    I thought she was a bit too young also. I was surprised my breeder let her go at 7 weeks. I would love to find puppies her age to play with. Hopefully I will after she has all her shots in 3 weeks. We got our last lab at 9 weeks and I just don't remember this much biting.

Hang in there. Our puppy is almost 6 months old and we were in the exact same situation as you. Things really do improve once the new teeth come in. I swear I have a hamper full of torn clothing. I ended up changing in to my torn clothing whenever I was home. They became my "Chester clothes".
    Just be consistent and in our case it was positive reinforcement that worked with this puppy...over and over and over again.
    We are finally able to sit on the floor with him and he doesn't try to rip our hands off.
    He still has his moments, but we have come a long way since he came home at 7 1/2 weeks. Good luck!
    Hidden Content
    Chester : Born December 11, 2013

What everyone else said, it does get better. We're not quite through it yet, but now that Molly has started getting her big girl teeth it is better. Just keep doing what you're doing.

We got Molly at 7 weeks as well, and I wonder sometimes if we would have been better off if she'd been older. But 7 weeks seemed to be the age every breeder I looked at was sending pups home.

Like other have said it does get better. for me it got better at around 5-6 months and she hasn't really nip me in a really long time.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos