Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Team trad battles on

Aye Mate's,
    Just took a look on the board and noticed some concern from Dallas Dawg and Poptop that TEAM TRAD was running silent and deep. Sorry about the lull in communication, I will take this opportunity to catch ye up. I just returned home about an hour ago from conclusion of week number five of treatment. To date, I have had two of three scheduled rounds of chemotherapy and have tolerated those rather well, though I would much prefer a Guinness drip in the IV bags rather than the chemopharms they are pumping through me. I will have me next round of chemo on 3/2 and should feel like a train hit me for several days afterward. I have been doing radiation treatments Monday through Friday and that is getting to be tougher as time goes by. The good news is that I have only dropped about 9 pounds and I am still able to meet me nutritional and hydration requirements without having had to resort to a feeding tube (something I am really trying to avoid). Me lovely bride is me at home nutritionist and she is doing ALL within her power to keep me well nourished. The excellent news is that me oncologist used a flexible camera last week and said "the tumor is melding away nicely", following up with "a significant reduction in the original size, a nice response". T'was music to me ears to hear him say those words.

To date, I have driven meself in to most o' me treatment sessions with exception to me chemotherapy sessions which are long and tiring days. I have one o' me best Mate's look after TRAD on those days and I am comforted knowing me Lad is in good hands. On many days, TRAD has made the trip of about (twenty miles one way) to the treatment center with me. TRAD looks forward to any opportunity for a ride in me truck (how Labrador typical) and he is great company whilst we are traveling.

I am fortunate to have the support o' me family and a wide circle of friends as I wage war on this monster. TRAD remains me constant companion and I am certain he knows that I am not meself during this most trying o' times. His loyal companionship has sustained me through dark days and he is what I consider the best medicine on four legs. I take refuge in me writings, art, Irish Traditional Music, reading, and the love of family and friends, all add to healing and in getting me through this process.

I am inspired by the history o' the "FIGHTING 69TH IRISH BRIGADE" and I have adopted their battle cry o'"Faugh a Ballagh" or "Clear The Way" as a personal mantra in charging toward treatment head on and relentlessly. For those o' ye interested in history, do some research on the "FIGHTING 69TH IRISH BRIGADE" and the warrior spirit they unleashed during the Ameican Civil War. Ye may also find a clip of the multi-talented Irish musician John Doyle and a song he wrote in homage to those honorable warriors, the song is called "CLEAR THE WAY". I was fortunate to meet and speak with John Doyle at a session he played in last year, a very humble and gracious man.

So, a wee bit over three weeks o' treatment remain to charge through and t'is me hope that the enemy is dead thereafter. TEAM TRAD fully appreciates the many notes and kind wishes o' support that we have received from throughout the retriever community and we cannot adequately thank ye all enough. I will post a follow up to this once we have concluded treatment.

Faugh a Ballagh,
    Irishwhistler and TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

ArchieSit (02-21-2015), barry581 (02-20-2015), BeataK (02-21-2015), Coopspuppy (02-22-2015), Dallas dawg (02-20-2015), fidgetyknees (02-24-2015), Indigo (02-20-2015), Jeff (02-24-2015), Jollymolly (02-23-2015), MikeLynn (02-21-2015), Ruger's Mom (02-23-2015), Scoutpout (02-20-2015)

Our hopes and prayers are still with you for continued good progress. May the next 3+ weeks fly swiftly by. Faugh a Ballagh!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

So good to hear from Team Trad. Please know you are in ours prayers.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Good to hear from you! Hope the next few treatments fly by. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

thanks for the update, glad to hear you are tolerating most of the treatments well. hang in there, 3 more weeks till victory

Sending good thoughts your way!!!

Sending good thoughts your way!
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

So good to hear you are tolerating the treatments well. Between your wife, friends, including us on the board, and TRAD, you'll conquer this foe.

Prayers and good thoughts being sent. If you need anything, all you have to do is ask; we are here for you.

CLEAR THE WAY - Team TRAD is going to win this battle.

Continued good wishes to you Irishwistler.

Senior Dog
    Thanx for checking in. Glad things are going good and good thoughts everyday for the next 3 weeks.

You must be a pretty special person to be surrounded by so many good "mates".

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos