Help With Home Cooked Recipe. Please?

Does anyone have THIS BOOK?

Ok, I know this is highly improper, I should buy the book. But I only need to check two recipes so I wonder if someone would take pity and pirate for me, sort of. Oban is back on a cooked diet for his suspected Lyphangiectasia and my Vet has sent me the two recipes. She could only find two that were the low fat she wants me to feed. I don't know what they are called in the book because she wrote them out for me herself, by email. One has poached chicken and cooked brown rice. The other has sardines, cooked sweet potato, thawed peas and yogurt. Those are the main ingredients for each, they have some other things too.

So here's my problem. I made the sardine one and the amount my Vet says Oban is to get each day just looks like an awful lot of food. I wonder if she sent the wrong amounts? Did I misunderstand her instructions? Of course it's the weekend, I can't reach her and I couldn't find it on-line. You can pm me if you are able to help by providing the recipes. Thanks.

I don't own the book, what are the amounts?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Sorry, don't have that one.

Chicken and Rice

470 grams - Poached chicken ( about a pound)
    3.75 cups - cooked brown rice
    1 tsp - cod liver oil
    ½ tsp - safflower oil
    2 scoops - Hilary’s Blend Balancer

Mix together. Should make about 1000 grams and Oban would get 890 grams per day or 455 grams per meal.

I haven't made this one yet but 455 grams is just shy of a pound. I've been giving Oban 1/2 pound of raw meat and about 1/4 pound of a veg/fruit puree per meal. Calculating 2% of his body weight of 75 lbs. gives 1.5 pounds when feeding raw. This is cooked but it seems too much. So what I'm looking for is the amount the book says to feed per pound. Plus the format above is not how I got it from my Vet. Her version mixes up grams and imperial volumes so I wonder if one or the other was converted inaccurately from the original.

ETA: Hmmm, left it as grams and volumes as it was given to me, I see. But it was all written out on one line, not in usual recipe format as I put it when I wrote it out. Yes, I did, I double checked I copied exactly what I was told.

Sardines, Peas and Potato

92 grams - Sardines, canned in water and drained
    2 cups - Peas, thawed (290 grams)
    1 large - Sweet Potato baked in skin (299 grams)
    1.25 cups -Yogurt plain, low fat
    1.5 scoops - Hilary’s Blend Balancer

Mash sardines and potato coarsely. Add Hilary’s to yogurt and mix. Add yogurt mix and peas, mix well to break up peas. Or mash peas first?

Oban would get 1.3 times this per day or slightly over half per meal.

This is the one I made this morning. I made just the recipe and it's a big, big amount. And it says to feed him 1.3 times this a day? Just seems like way too much. I do have a scale and I did use it.

Since Oban eats about half what one would normally feed a raw fed dog, I would start with half of the cooked amount and adjust from there. He seems to be an easy keeper.

Doesn't sound much to me, but you know your dog's metabolism best - I agree with Charlotte.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I'm feeding 2% of his ideal weight of 75 pounds per day, divided between two meals. It is what's working but I'm curious, are you both feeding more than 2%?

Whoops. I read too fast. You feed that amount twice daily. Maybe calculate the caloric intakes for the old diet and for the new recipes. Go from there. I would still underfeed initially if you have to change suddenly. How did today go?

He got the chicken recipe for his supper last night and the sardine again for brekkie. I hope he really liked the chicken because I cooked the rice in home made chicken soup stock that was meant for our own soup. Vet ok'd. Today I have to cook more chicken and make up another sardine recipe.

I'm not underfeeding, not as far as I can tell. But I did give three smaller meals instead of his usual two.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (02-22-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos