Puppy

Question Training help for a couple of issues

I've had a couple of issues with my 3 year old male chocolate lab and need some advice.

1. When visitors come over: He gets OVERLY excited when anyone comes over. He doesn't jump on them or anything but he will get close enough so his body touches their legs and puts physical pressure on their legs (if that makes any sense) almost knocking them over sometimes. A lot of times he will end up peeing he is so excited (very embarrassing). He has had this issue since he was a pup. I did get some in house obedience training and the training came up with a method to try to curb him of this habit but it hasn't worked. Usually he minds very good when i give a command but as soon as someone comes over he starts to not listen. I thought he would grow out of it but unfortunately that never happened. Someone has suggesting nudering him, but, to be honest its something id rather not do. Sometimes i crate him but i shouldn't have to do that.

2. Going for walks: He puts me through a workout when we go for walks. He is constantly tugging on the leash. I usually will take him with our other dog (a yorkie). My wife will be walking the yorkie and i will walk him. Especially if my wife is in front of me. Also his nose is his worst enemy. That is another thing that causes him to tug on the leash. He is constantly sniffing the ground and tugging at the leash. I think he walking me rather than me walking him. Sometimes it almost makes me not want to go on walks with him. I also occasionally run with him and he is the same way. Its such a pain because i have to spend as much or more time paying attention to him then what i need to do for my running. The thing i have him trained very good at is not paying attention to other people / dogs on the trail. I've had dogs on the other side of the trail barking at him and sometimes he will give me a small little whine but he won't fight me any on the direction i'm going.

3. Laying on his back. The dog absolutely loves laying on his back with his paws in the air. As soon as you start petting him he immediately lays down and rolls to his back with his paws in the air (this happens a lot with problem 1 too). It gets really annoying. When we first got him to be honest sometimes he would sleep like this. Its hard to pet him like normal dog.
    Last edited by ncage; 02-22-2015 at 10:27 AM.

On the first issue, I'm not of much help because my two still do it, also. If I could get everyone I know to ignore them, leave the house, or demand a sit, I'd be all set. I've had people start to come in, then as soon as they get crazy, leave the house. We did this exercise for several minutes, but because I can't get everyone to do it, it doesn't really work. They are both very well trained so this is what I consider our one issue and I've decided to manage it, not fix it. So, if someone is coming over who doesn't like or can't handle them, I either crate them or put them in another room or even in the fenced yard before they come over. I only put them in the yard if someone is popping by for ten minutes to drop things off. The peeing is just an excitement thing. If someone comes over, make sure he's just peed and that may help. Neutering is not going to help this. It's not as if he is marking.

As far as the pulling, some will recommend a properly fitted prong collar. However, he sounds like he might have some submissive tendencies, so I'm not sure if that is the answer. There are some harnesses that people like as well. I personally like the halti or gentle leader, but you have to slowly get your dog used to it because they generally hate it at first. Also, some people have issues with rubbing. I never did, but I suppose if the fit is off, you might. I don't allow my dogs to sniff on walks unless it's time to go potty. I give them several potty breaks where I'll say, "OK, go potty", and they'll sniff around and go. I only give them about 15 seconds though so it doesn't turn into a sniffing frenzy. Over time, they have both come up with ways to let me know they have to go or I notice they are walking funny or looking anxious, and then I make it my idea to go. They are both nearly 100 lbs and young and I am a 5'4" woman. I walk them both on flat-buckle collars. Two in one hand. Linus gets to the end of the leash but Sam's is slack. I think training is the answer, but most people with adult dogs go for a device.

Your final issue with your dog shouldn't be an issue at all. You say your dog "absolutely loves laying on his back with his paws in the air" so why would you want to change that? Or is he actually being submissive? What is the difference between petting a dog laying on his belly and one laying on his back? Unless the dog is being submissive -- and in that case, change will need to come from you, I just don't see that this is the hill to die on.

my personal trainer for chili recommended a tool like this: Amazon.com : Premier Treat Train Remote Reward Dog Trainer : Barking Deterrent Collars : Pet Supplies

I just started using it to train "place" so that when the doorbell rings instead of running to door he runs to a different spot in home where the treat dispenser is. dont know if its the best tool, but Im just getting started with it.

the other recommendation I got was back to a collar and leash/basics for when company comes over. I usually always know when visitors come to visit ahead of time so its not a huge problem for me.

for walks I use a prong and my wife uses a harness. I think the training I have done with the prong has allowed my dog to not drag my wife around when she walks chili with the harness. I really dont do any tugging when chili wears the prong. we stop/sit, heal, switch, behind, change directions...its a ll a work in progress and just takes time/repetition.

have fun with your dog, but when its training/work time try to stay focused and consistent. I dont usually train for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by ncage View Post
    Someone has suggesting nudering him, but, to be honest its something id rather not do.
    LOL, LOL. I know this is a typo but it first struck me as "Murdering" him. I'm so glad you don't want to do that. And I agree with Labradorks, neutering most likely will have no effect. It's excitement pee, not sexually motivated at all.

For 1. and 2. probably all you need is a good training class to teach YOU how to teach him. You can put him on a leash when people come over. I wouldn't mind him leaning on me but he could knock over a small child or elderly person. My boy is 7 and he is still thrilled with some visitors. The Look at That game from Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed" helps me with that. Yes, I still have to do it with some people. What are the visitors doing while he is leaning on them? Have you told them to ignore him, and did that help? Visitor often unwittingly encourage this kind of behaviour. If they ignore the dog it usually helps.

2. There are lots of tricks to train not pulling. You might have to spend some time working on him without the other dog present and classes would be ideal to start with. For me changing direction worked. For some stopping works. There are other little things you can do too.

3. Really? LOL, as long as he doesn't lie down and trip you I don't see the problem. As in 1. the leash would help but, honestly, to me that is not behaviour I would correct.

I think it's that the OP doesn't always want to pet the dog's belly. I can understand that. I guess if it were me I'd start with just avoiding his belly when doing that. Move away from him, ignore that behavior and when he sits or presents the area you want to pet, pet him and treat him. If he flops down and presents his belly ignore him again. Repeat until he gets it, then you can try introducing a command for his belly when you feel like petting his belly.

I actually thought you said "murdering" him as well.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos