Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Odd habits/obsessions?

Do you pets have any odd habits that you feel are theirs alone?

Sam doesn't really have anything too crazy. He likes to go between peoples' legs from behind. He's a big dog, so for some people they end up kinda riding him. He also thinks he's a ninja and "hides" in plain sight while stalking other dogs. I think he literally thinks no one can see him. Sometimes he hides in a ditch and ambushes his little brother, but Linus is catching on.

Linus, on the other hand, has several. Sometimes he will get in the shower with me and then hop out like he didn't realize the water was on, but seriously, he loves water. Weirdo. When you tickle his belly, kinda like ticking a kid's ribcage, but more on his flanks, when he's excited he actually bucks like a pony while grunting like a pig. When I first bought my house, I decided I didn't want to do any yardwork and bought a few sacks of rubber mulch so I would never have to replace it. Fast forward 2+ years and I've re-landscaped the entire property, added six garden beds for veggies, and I count down the days until Spring so I can get my hands in the dirt. So, the rubber mulch is mixed with chips in a weird side area now. Linus picks up a piece and brings it inside nearly daily, then throws it around like a killer whale does with his prey, then chews it like gum. He never swallows it. He's been doing this since I brought him home.

And for a bonus, my cat hides between the shower curtains and when I finish showering she jumps down to lick the water off of my toes where I put my foot on the side of the tub while drying my leg. When she is finished licking that foot, she walks over several inches, sits, looks at me with her eyes half-shut like, "next, please" and waits for my other foot. If one of the dogs comes over to see what she is doing, she smacks them with her paw to back off away from her foot.

Luna loves mulch too.

Jeff and Hemi got Luna a big stuffed pig for Christmas and she brings it around with her everywhere. Eating dinner? Polly comes. On the couch for a nap? Not without Polly. Going to bed in her crate? She has to get Polly first. Polly is her total BFF and Luna won't go anywhere without Polly. Polly comes to the vet, in the car, anywhere we stay overnight. Polly is her little safety blanket.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Jeff (02-23-2015)

When Maverick wants to go outside he stands at the basement stairs and looks down. The door outside is not in the basement.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    When Maverick wants to go outside he stands at the basement stairs and looks down. The door outside is not in the basement.
    How the heck did you translate that into wanting to go outside? I'm still waiting for Sophie to give me some sort of signal to go out. I'm hoping that I don't miss it!
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Sam HAS to have something in his mouth when he greets us. (When he was a little piranha puppy, I would stick a toy in his mouth first thing so he wouldn't maul me. So i'm pretty sure I started this trend.) When we let him out of his crate in the morning or when either of us has been gone and then comes home, the first thing Sam does is find a toy to do his happy dance with. If he can't find a toy, he'll use whatever he can find, he carried around an empty box for awhile the other day, but he will not come up to greet us until he has something in his mouth. Sometimes he has to have two toys to carry around and he usually can't get toy #2 to fit in his mouth also so he spends some time fumbling around to get that right, all the while wagging his tail, totally excited and happy, being entirely adorable.

He then proceeds to circle around the coffee table or couch or dining room table, with his toy, wiggling his butt with joy and he WILL NOT stay in one place. If I wanna give him hugs, I have to wait until he circles around to me again and give him a quick drive by. Eventually he'll calm down enough to sit down and get some proper love. But he'll still have his toy(s).

I really need to get it on video, it's so cute.

This is Brutus' odd habit -- he ALWAYS sleeps in the same place and ALWAYS tucks both front and hind legs under the rug like in this pic below--he has a similar spot in the front of our house where he also tucks his legs under a rug.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brutus For This Useful Post:

barry581 (02-22-2015), Dallas dawg (02-22-2015), smartrock (02-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    Sam looks up the stairs! He used to go up there to hide his potty accidents when he was a puppy, so we got in the habit of rushing him outside whenever we saw him going up there. He realized pretty quickly that he could tell us he needed to go by starting up the stairs, or sitting at the bottom and looking up and barking or whining.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Sam HAS to have something in his mouth when he greets us. (When he was a little piranha puppy, I would stick a toy in his mouth first thing so he wouldn't maul me. So i'm pretty sure I started this trend.) When we let him out of his crate in the morning or when either of us has been gone and then comes home, the first thing Sam does is find a toy to do his happy dance with. If he can't find a toy, he'll use whatever he can find, he carried around an empty box for awhile the other day, but he will not come up to greet us until he has something in his mouth. Sometimes he has to have two toys to carry around and he usually can't get toy #2 to fit in his mouth also so he spends some time fumbling around to get that right, all the while wagging his tail, totally excited and happy, being entirely adorable.

He then proceeds to circle around the coffee table or couch or dining room table, with his toy, wiggling his butt with joy and he WILL NOT stay in one place. If I wanna give him hugs, I have to wait until he circles around to me again and give him a quick drive by. Eventually he'll calm down enough to sit down and get some proper love. But he'll still have his toy(s).

I really need to get it on video, it's so cute.
    Luna does that! Precious.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

When Fran is having problems with her ears, she comes over to me and crouches really low to the ground then woofs and jumps straight up with all four legs stretched out.

When she wants me to spray her because she has allergies, she'll come up to me and stick her left rear leg straight out from her body at a ninety degree angle because her belly is itchy.

It's like her own form of sign language.

I feed the songbirds. In addition to filling hanging feeders I scatter seed on the ground for the ground-feeding birds.

Achilles and Stella, the cattle dogs, like sunflower seeds. I have to monitor them and call them off when they begin acting like bird dogs.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos