Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spaz

Post spaz

Oliver will turn into a spaz at the most random times and I am trying to figure out how to fix it as it is annoying. For example, when I brush him, he gets so riled up he becomes a wiggle monster that folds himself in half and it is impossible for me to brush him without shoving his head between my legs and trapping him there until he calms down. Same with drying him off after he has been out in the rain or mud, he does the excited wiggle monster thing. One time of trying to dry him off, my husband looks over and says, "who's winning?" because I literally have the dog in a headlock trying to dry his paws off. The other night, Oliver was laying on me all nice so I pet him and then he stands up to shove himself into me and starts acting like a spaz. It makes me not want to pet him when he acts like that. I noticed his collar was getting tight because he just keeps getting wider so I took it off to adjust the size and out comes the wiggle monster and he tries licking his collar and I had to headlock him to put it back on. I am going to order a freedom no-pull harness for walks and I can just imagine the issues I will have trying to get it on and off.

How can I curb this excitement? I have tried the soothing voice to get him to calm down and when that doesn't work, the wrestling ensues. I don't know if he thinks the towel, brush, collar, etc. are toys and he is trying to play the game or what is going on.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    Same with drying him off after he has been out in the rain or mud, he does the excited wiggle monster thing.
    I thought that was part of the breed standard.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

barry581 (02-23-2015), coopersmom (03-16-2015), doubledip1 (02-24-2015), Jeff (02-23-2015), Meeps83 (02-23-2015), POPTOP (02-24-2015), shellbell (02-23-2015), sheltieluver (02-23-2015), SnappinSami (02-24-2015), SoapySophie (02-23-2015), Sue (02-23-2015), Tanya (02-23-2015), WhoopsaDaisy (02-23-2015), Woodrow_Woodchuck (02-23-2015)

I would say learn to embrace it. It's one of those pick your battles thing, your not going to win.

Drying Hemi off is actually more tiring to him I think than swimming. After a while I just gave up. I use old towels and do the best I can to coral him and get him dried off as I can. Towels are great fun for Hemi. I usually end up sweaty and wet too. I just accept it before hand. I actually put on a swimsuit and nothing else when I give Hemi a bath and stay in it until he is dry. I am not the only lab owner with special attire for drying off labs.

isn't that part of the joy of labs that they are spaz'z

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    We always have a towel laid out on the floor, which Sophie is instructed to go to and sit on as we come in the door. She remains on leash while we dry one paw at a time, saying "oooonnnnnnnnnnnnneee..........twwwwwwwwwwwwooooooo ooo...." etc. She has learned to sit still (or lay down) during this exercise. Thankfully, because we kept getting knocked over or play bitten before. It also helps to have a chew toy/bone there to keep their mouth occupied.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-23-2015)

I think it's a behavior I would miss if it weren't there. I just love my ridiculous, goofy, floppy, spazzy puppy.
    Hidden Content Theo 8/14/14

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

Sue (02-23-2015)

The only way to fix it is to find a magical fairy to turn him into a different breed or age him 12 years (though that may or may not work).

It makes me sad that you want to curb his excitement. It's the best part of loving a Lab!

You can make a game out of it and get what done what you need to get done. Just use that enthusiasm, excitement, and game-playing in your favor. Alternatively, use treats and make it fun for him. "This is more fun than that thing you like to do." For the collar deal, I would have let him get his crazies out, then put it on. He obviously had excess energy. It's just not the hill to die on. For the brush, I can brush my dogs while they are wiggling, it's not hard. At least he likes it. You can come back to sitting still later, when he's older if you want to. Even the CGC test doesn't care if your dog wiggles while being brushed. As far as the towel, I can also towel mine off while they are wiggling. It actually helps. Sam (who is 4 BTW) usually holds onto one end of the towel while wiggling around. However, for their paws, I taught them when coming in to sit on a towel which absorbs their foot water/mud. I used a really good treat so if they see the towel, they just come in and sit. It was pretty easy to teach.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Sue (02-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    The only way to fix it is to find a magical fairy to turn him into a different breed or age him 12 years (though that may or may not work).

It makes me sad that you want to curb his excitement. It's the best part of loving a Lab!

You can make a game out of it and get what done what you need to get done. Just use that enthusiasm, excitement, and game-playing in your favor. Alternatively, use treats and make it fun for him. "This is more fun than that thing you like to do." For the collar deal, I would have let him get his crazies out, then put it on. He obviously had excess energy. It's just not the hill to die on. For the brush, I can brush my dogs while they are wiggling, it's not hard. At least he likes it. You can come back to sitting still later, when he's older if you want to. Even the CGC test doesn't care if your dog wiggles while being brushed. As far as the towel, I can also towel mine off while they are wiggling. It actually helps. Sam (who is 4 BTW) usually holds onto one end of the towel while wiggling around. However, for their paws, I taught them when coming in to sit on a towel which absorbs their foot water/mud. I used a really good treat so if they see the towel, they just come in and sit. It was pretty easy to teach.
    Ok, I guess I wasn't expecting to get the responses that I did. Let me address each since you seem to think that I want to curb his enthusiasm and that bothers you for some reason. I don't...just when I am trying to get something done.

He didn't have excess energy when I tried taking off his collar or putting it on as he was currently laying on top of me. Same with the petting. He will be laying on top of me practically sleeping and then...crazy! if you touch him. That I don't like because he is already on me and then gets crazy and stands up which makes him WAY bigger than I am. I am only 5' tall and he is well over 50 lbs, he can hurt me if he doesn't calm down. I wouldn't think that should make anyone sad to get him to calm down in situations like that.

I now realize that drying a dog off and brushing him are just how labs act and I guess that is just something for me to deal with.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I tried teaching Shadow "Chin" and "Freeze" so that the vet would have an easier time. Basically he has to rest his chin in my hand before getting the treat. I figured this would help the vet look at his eyes and teeth (and help me brush his teeth and fur). Does no good if anyone wants to do anything with his ears. We also worked on "freeze" so the vet could do a better inspection but the wiggle urge is much for him. Still have hope for that.

For drying off feet, I have Shadow spin and twirl several times on the throw rug just inside the door. Taught this by luring him into a circle with a treat held in front of his nose. Now he spins a few times one way and twirls the other. I just use hand signals now. If his upper legs need more drying, I do it like one would clean a horses hooves. Seems to work for the first couple legs then he flops on the rug and wiggles and I have to catch anything I can with a towel.

Collars and Harnesses...what worked for me was to hold open the collar or harness with one hand and have a treat on the other side of the opened collar. He had to stick his head through to get the treat. A few practice sessions and he was cured. Note, whenever I come home from work, he will be sitting on the couch whacking his tail on the cushion while I ignore him as I put my things down. I then pick up the walking gear and if I am lucky he does not jump off with a toy in his mouth and a case of the zoomies before accepting that I really am home and behaving....if I am lucky, I just go to the couch and we just put the collar and harness on and have a TLC moment before he agrees that it is time for us to go outside.

Brushing: We do it out on the deck when we can. I get a few swipes in and then he gets wiggly. I pick up the cats furminator and brush the cat who glides by several times to check out the action. Shadow gets jealous and stands still for a few more brushes then zips away. Back comes the cat for more grooming. I don't chase him. I just ignore him and give the cat the attention. This goes on for a bit until all excess fur is removed from both animals. Then out comes the broom and the excess fur is removed from the house...for about 5 hours.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swanska For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    Ok, I guess I wasn't expecting to get the responses that I did. Let me address each since you seem to think that I want to curb his enthusiasm and that bothers you for some reason. I don't...just when I am trying to get something done.

He didn't have excess energy when I tried taking off his collar or putting it on as he was currently laying on top of me. Same with the petting. He will be laying on top of me practically sleeping and then...crazy! if you touch him. That I don't like because he is already on me and then gets crazy and stands up which makes him WAY bigger than I am. I am only 5' tall and he is well over 50 lbs, he can hurt me if he doesn't calm down. I wouldn't think that should make anyone sad to get him to calm down in situations like that.

I now realize that drying a dog off and brushing him are just how labs act and I guess that is just something for me to deal with.
    You did say that you wanted to curb his excitement...

I'd probably just not let him lay on me until he is older and calmer. I'm not much taller and my dogs are twice as heavy, plus, there are two and they want to lay on me at the same time. I know if I let that happen, I'd have black eyes, so I don't. If I want to cuddle with them, I generally sit on the floor where they can lay next to me with their heads on my lap or something. It is much safer.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos