Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doesn't like the car

My new dog Hope, who is 6 years old. A former Kennel dog I got from a hunting breeder is doing great in her new home. Adjusting to all things new amazingly well. Little noises still can make her jump. She is a bit suspicious of new people especially men but it only takes a few minutes & then she's all lovey. Anyway; what she doesn't like is the car. I am not sure what to do. She balks at going in. I have an SUV & I set up the very back with toys & a nice bed but she pants & sometimes shakes a bit. Anything I can do???
    -rocking-ms-hope-jpg

I've never had to get an old dog used to it. But the puppy tricks are pretty easy to try. Start by just getting her in the car, sit in the back seat if you have to, play with her, just get her used to it. Then do the same thing, only this time turn the car on for a few minutes. Finally start to go for short little drives. Hopefully it will work for you as great as it did for me. All I need to do is ask if he wants to go for a ride, and he sprints to the car and sits at the back door waiting to get let in.

In addition to GrandeLSM's desensitizing recommendations...

You may want to get some of the "Through a Dog's Ear" DVD's for your dog (or download). You can go to their site Through a Dog's Ear - Music Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of Canine Anxiety! to read the background behind the tapes (they are clinically tested!). Our local shelters recommend them when people are adopting. There are clips that you can play before purchasing. I tested all of the samples on my dog (I may have also gone to Amazon and played their clips) before purchasing. He immediately mellowed out and fell asleep much more quickly than normal.

I downloaded 5 DVD's and play them on my MP3, on repeat, for my dog, when I go to work. I lent the car DVD to a friend with a dog who has car issues and she determined that there was indeed an improvement in her dog when she had the tape on.

When she finds out she is going to super cool places in the car, she will start jumping in on her own. Avoid trips to the vet if you can before she get accustomed to car rides. I know of a dog whose first car trip was to the vets, now they can't get him into the car at all.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (02-23-2015), ChoppersDad (02-23-2015)

Do you think she'd be more comfortable in a crate in the car? Can you fit a crate in the car? As a hunting dog she may be used to riding that way.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (02-23-2015), Dallas dawg (02-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    When she finds out she is going to super cool places in the car, she will start jumping in on her own. Avoid trips to the vet if you can before she get accustomed to car rides. I know of a dog whose first car trip was to the vets, now they can't get him into the car at all.
    When I first got Chopper, I was taking him to the Vet on a regular basis and he was reluctant to get in the car. Now that the vaccination shots are done, he associates the vehicle with visiting friends with dogs, camping, hikes, ponds, etc. Now he gets pissed when I leave in the vehicle without him.

One thing to think about, doggy car sickness. I had one dog who started drooling almost instantly but he did love to get into the car. From the symptoms you describe, more likely fear based.

Know the weather is cold, but one way is to feed her in the car. For now, tons of treats and praise. A crate would be a good idea in case she tries jumping around making driving dangerous. You could cover the crate with a sheet to give her the den like experience. Jumping in and jumping out can also be frightening. A ramp will help. I prefer a ramp anyway with my older dogs.

Like all you have been doing, patience, love and praise. She'll get it.

I had a dog that was scared of the car but after a few moths with us and my older dog that jumps right in the car he turned around and loved the car.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Do you think she'd be more comfortable in a crate in the car? Can you fit a crate in the car? As a hunting dog she may be used to riding that way.
    Chloe doesn't fuss if she's not in a crate, but she's clearly not as happy as when she is in one.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Short trips that go directly to an ice cream treat place (Dairy Queen anyone?) and home again might help.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos