Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding

Understanding

I know dogs don't really understand phrases, they pick up basic words and that is why you are supposed to keep your commands short (one or two words) but I think I taught Oliver the phrase, "I can't reach you". When we play keep away (which is a horrible game I should have NEVER taught my dog but he just loves it so...what do you do?) and he backs up out of my reach I will tell Oliver that I can't reach him and he steps forward so I can reach him so I can try to grab the toy out of his mouth.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    It was my understanding that dogs were fully capable of understanding words as well as phrases, and they can even count to like 5 or something...I remember reading that somewhere. I can say "go sit in your chair" and my dog will go and sit on the recliner.

I am pretty sure they understand full phrases too. Just from experience.

I've also heard where they only understand a word or two. But I believe that Mocha can understand some sentences. Whether it's my body language or a repetitive situation or instinct, he knows. Of course, Mocha is the smartest dog ever!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-24-2015)

chili knows "go get your toy"....doesnt know which toy to get, but does go look for a toy he wants to play with and returns to me with whatever it is, 90% a fetch toy.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Senior Dog
    I think they understand phrases; it's more compound commands that are problematic ("Go to your crate in the other room and bring your toy to me" won't work, but if I say "Go to your crate" and once she's there, "bring your toy to me", that works.)
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-24-2015)

I think they can understand phrases. When DW or I say are you ready to go? Mocha runs to his kennel.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    It was my understanding that dogs were fully capable of understanding words as well as phrases, and they can even count to like 5 or something...I remember reading that somewhere. I can say "go sit in your chair" and my dog will go and sit on the recliner.
    Agree, Mardi and Archie understand phrases. I think our body language also plays into it, stuff we don't even know we are doing.

Sorry xracer4844 have to disagree a little. They may be able to count to 5 but they miss 4 all together, especially when it comes to wiping muddy feet. 1, 2 and 3 get done and they think they're finished.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

OHfemail (02-24-2015), xracer4844 (02-25-2015)

Mine know a bunch of phrases. "let's go night-night" for bedtime. "what has to happen" used for them to "place" before they are fed. "bring me your bowl" after they eat. "who has a happy tail" gets their tail wagging. "find it" used to find a treat. "bring it here" and "fetch it up" self explanatory. I'm sure there are a few more, just can't think of them!

Jet was practically perfect at understanding the difference between "Grandma's coming to visit." and "We're going to Grandma's." She'd go look out the window for the first, sit and wait by the door for the second. Once she saw Grandma's car in the driveway though, then she went to the door. I think we told her Grandma was visiting far enough ahead of her arrival time often enough that she learned Grandma might not actually be here yet when we said it so she had to check.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos