Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Question You order online: winter temperature concerns?

I'm at the point where I need to order both kibbles I use and decided to not do it while we were still showing temps to be way below freezing overnight (and not real good during the day, either).

I figure that I don't want to take the chance that the food will freeze and then thaw inside its plastic bag...mold forming....and really don't want to keep the bag open for who knows how long for the moisture to evaporate and the food to start getting stale.

So I'll place my order on Saturday.

But this got me thinking....any thoughts on this? This is the first year that it crossed my mind so maybe it's not that big a deal....I have no reason to suspect that I've ever fed moldy/off food. Maybe my orders were never placed in the middle of a frigid spell?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    I'm at the point where I need to order both kibbles I use and decided to not do it while we were still showing temps to be way below freezing overnight (and not real good during the day, either).

I figure that I don't want to take the chance that the food will freeze and then thaw inside its plastic bag...mold forming....and really don't want to keep the bag open for who knows how long for the moisture to evaporate and the food to start getting stale.

So I'll place my order on Saturday.

But this got me thinking....any thoughts on this? This is the first year that it crossed my mind so maybe it's not that big a deal....I have no reason to suspect that I've ever fed moldy/off food. Maybe my orders were never placed in the middle of a frigid spell?
    I would go ahead and order. The freeze would kill any pests or rogue mold. I love grocery shopping in the winter because my frozen stuff stays frozen during the car ride home! I would be nervous in the summer over the winter.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (02-24-2015)

Is the issue that it will freeze outside your front door? If so, can you have it delivered to the UPS or FedEx depot? Otherwise, I would not worry. I just got soft treats, hard biscuits, ear cleaner (no alcohol) and other stuff delivered last week on a record cold day. Nothing froze in two hours.

Senior Dog
    Yeah, the freeze would kill anything but my concern is with the condensation when its thawing...that moisture promoting ugliness.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Is the issue that it will freeze outside your front door? If so, can you have it delivered to the UPS or FedEx depot? Otherwise, I would not worry. I just got soft treats, hard biscuits, ear cleaner (no alcohol) and other stuff delivered last week on a record cold day. Nothing froze in two hours.
    No...I'm home and usually greet the delivery person; the dogs let me know before the truck gets to the house.

I've had canned soup, a gel dog product, and body lotion arrive frozen solid before...the soup and lotion last year, the gel this year.

No...I'm home and usually greet the delivery person; the dogs let me know before the truck gets to the house.

I've had canned soup, a gel dog product, and body lotion arrive frozen solid before...the soup and lotion last year, the gel this year.
    I've had hair products freeze in the truck before they get to my door. They usually thaw out just fine. Kibble wouldn't concern me nearly as much as super expensive moisturizer.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    I've had hair products freeze in the truck before they get to my door. They usually thaw out just fine. Kibble wouldn't concern me nearly as much as super expensive moisturizer.
    All of those products ended up getting replaced...manufacturers confirmed that they'd have been compromised by freezing. The lotion thawed separated and the soup had probably frozen/thawed/frozen again in the time it took to get to me (Nevada to Maryland)...not gonna eat refrozen stuff....nuh uh. The gel I wasn't sure of but the manufacturer said to not use.

All of those products ended up getting replaced...manufacturers confirmed that they'd have been compromised by freezing. The lotion thawed separated and the soup had probably frozen/thawed/frozen again in the time it took to get to me (Nevada to Maryland)...not gonna eat refrozen stuff....nuh uh. The gel I wasn't sure of but the manufacturer said to not use.
    Oh no! I should probably call them. Good to know!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

This is the first winter I've worried about products freezing. Ordered some doggy treats and they came through fine.

Had to laugh at doubledip1 comment. I was used to the hot Savannah, GA weather and would hurry home with frozen items. One of the first time I went shopping here it was so cold, got ice cream and some other frozen products. Wanted to make another top and thought no problem, that stuff will stay frozen. Got home to find the lettuce and onions had frozen solid. Never even thought about that.

I figure if its gonna freeze on the ups / fedex truck it would freeze on the retail store supply truck as well.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos