Sounds wild outside.

It turns out that we got ten feet of snow total in about a month. Most of it was really light so now that we have some direct sunlight, it's compacting. We had a warm day and it created a fairly deep crust on top of these very high snow banks. Now it's really cold out but the sun is hitting the snow and everything is crackling. I went out to get chicken feed and the ground is making this wild sound. I've never heard anything like it.

Senior Dog
    Never heard it with landbound snow/ice but the ice on the lake sounds a lot like whales calling sometimes....long burps and trills.

The are called ice quakes. We had them here a couple of days ago. They said it is when the ground freezes too fast and the earth underneath contracts (or something like that, I'm not good with the scientific stuff. Lol).
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

SunDance (02-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    It turns out that we got ten feet of snow total in about a month. Most of it was really light so now that we have some direct sunlight, it's compacting. We had a warm day and it created a fairly deep crust on top of these very high snow banks. Now it's really cold out but the sun is hitting the snow and everything is crackling. I went out to get chicken feed and the ground is making this wild sound. I've never heard anything like it.
    You must not be too far from me. It was -7 this morning when I awoke at 6:00am. My snow blower is begging for a break this winter. Between snow blowing and shoveling 4 ft of snow off the roof and clearing ice dams before last weekend's dud of a rain storm, I'm beat. I am so ready for Spring it's not funny. BTW I'm Southeastern MA in the corridor from Boston to Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by beth101509 View Post
    The are called ice quakes. We had them here a couple of days ago. They said it is when the ground freezes too fast and the earth underneath contracts (or something like that, I'm not good with the scientific stuff. Lol).
    That's really interesting. I've never heard of it before. It scared me for a minute because I thought it was the house!

Quote Originally Posted by JackK View Post
    You must not be too far from me. It was -7 this morning when I awoke at 6:00am. My snow blower is begging for a break this winter. Between snow blowing and shoveling 4 ft of snow off the roof and clearing ice dams before last weekend's dud of a rain storm, I'm beat. I am so ready for Spring it's not funny. BTW I'm Southeastern MA in the corridor from Boston to Providence.
    We're north central and also very tired. Our roof rake is getting a workout from us and the neighbor. It's exhausting isn't it? It's premature but I did this to make myself feel better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -seedstarts0215-jpg  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-26-2015)

Oh, I'm so tempted to start plants; all the stuff is in the stores.

We first heard of ice quakes last winter. At about 3:00 am I thought a car had hit the side of our house. That's how loud and strong they are. We felt quite a few of them over last winter but I haven't recalled any so far this season. Maybe because it's been miserably cold and nothing in between since Jan.

The ground thaws, water starts running then a massive deep freeze and everything expands and cracks like nothing you have ever heard. Pretty wild.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos