Trainer - Best Thing Ever

As many of you know our biggest issue with our 6 month old Rosie was her pulling on the leash. There are other issues as well so I finally decided to have a trainer come to the house. The trainer ended up spending 3 hours with us and our Rosie.

It was decided that a prong collar would work best for her when going for walks and training in the house. She also told us to keep her leash on in the house as well. The trainer properly fit the collar on her and showed us how to put it on and take it off. After letting our Rosie get used to the collar she had both me and my husband take her outside for a walk. What a difference!!!! It was pure pleasure walking with her. If she started to pull she found out very quickly what can happen (her doing not ours). The big test was this morning when I took her for a 40 minute walk. There was no pulling and every time I stopped she sat down. There was lots of praise on our walk. Once we got home she conked out. YAY.

Some other things that she taught us was that we were saying her name too often when telling her to do commands. For instance when we would ask her to sit we would say Rosie sit. If she didn't do as asked we would say it again until she did it. What we are now doing is saying the command and if she sits we say good sit. If she doesn't sit we say NO and say sit again until she does. We are not using her name.

She also worked with us on getting her leash on and getting out the door. After just one visit there's already an improvement.

The trainer also reiterated how important it is for her to get at least 2 long walks in each day (minimum 40 minutes, up to an hour) regardless of weather. SO I bundled up and off we went. Now have one tired pup sleeping on the couch.

She went over other things as well and our 2 hour evaluation/training lasted 3 hours. We have decided to have 4 more sessions with her. I can now take what I learned from her and utilize it at our Intermediate Class and hope it makes a difference there.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

beth101509 (02-24-2015), Charlotte K. (02-25-2015), ChoppersDad (02-24-2015), doubledip1 (02-24-2015), happy_blackbird (02-25-2015), Jollymolly (02-24-2015), POPTOP (02-24-2015), sheltieluver (02-24-2015), windycanyon (02-25-2015)

Glad to hear the prong collar worked for you. I am dealing with my puppy pulling during obedience training class when he is around other dogs. Trying to get past this issue without a special collar. If I fail, I may check out this option. Thanks for the post.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppersDad For This Useful Post:

rochie427 (02-24-2015)

Mine also pulls at class and when I questioned that particular so called trainer about other options than the harness, she replied not really. When I take her to class on Saturday with the prong collar I hope my Rosie does not pull when seeing the other dogs and people. I want to be able to say to that trainer how wrong she was LOL.

prong collar for chili is time to work/train. harness is for car rides/wife walks. flat collar is for visits to family/friends/shopping/vet. e collar for out in the country/off leash play. no collar for at home relaxing/sleeping. I am sure everyone has multiple collars and different uses. I like watching westminster when the handlers lift the small dogs by the noose so it appears they float when showing.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

What great results! I've found that a trainer sees so much more than I do when working with Archie and refines and gives new ideas for all sorts of things.

Thanks for setting Rosie up to succeed. She may be a pup and crazy now, but she wants to learn and will learn.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

rochie427 (02-24-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    What great results! I've found that a trainer sees so much more than I do when working with Archie and refines and gives new ideas for all sorts of things.

Thanks for setting Rosie up to succeed. She may be a pup and crazy now, but she wants to learn and will learn.

What a difference a really good trainer can make!!!

I am so, so happy to hear about Rosie's progress (we have a six month old, too, so it has been really interesting to me to follow Rosie's development)!!! We, too, were saying her name before every command and recently she has stopped even looking up when I say it. Nada. Nothing. She has completely ceased responding to her name. So...we've started calling her "Babydog" (partly as a way to of reminding me that this is exactly what she is, a baby, and to stop thinking of her as just a small, unruly lab) and have stopped using "Ellie" for now. Did the trainer say when/how to introduce Rosie's name back into the picture?

Yes, yes, yes! 90 minute walks in the morning and 45 minute walks in the early evening makes for a happy puppy and a happy family. Without it, Ellie would be a Beastie. I am not a morning person, so it's a gnarly task for me and I have to force myself to drag my butt out the door, but it's a life saver. I am so, so happy to hear that with the prong collar you're able to have fun walks!!! That will mean more walks!!! Can you post a photo of her in her collar?

How did you find the trainer?
    Last edited by happy_blackbird; 02-25-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forgot a question

Quote Originally Posted by happy_blackbird View Post
    I am so, so happy to hear about Rosie's progress (we have a six month old, too, so it has been really interesting to me to follow Rosie's development)!!! We, too, were saying her name before every command and recently she has stopped even looking up when I say it. Nada. Nothing. She has completely ceased responding to her name. So...we've started calling her "Babydog" (partly as a way to of reminding me that this is exactly what she is, a baby, and to stop thinking of her as just a small, unruly lab) and have stopped using "Ellie" for now. Did the trainer say when/how to introduce Rosie's name back into the picture?

Yes, yes, yes! 90 minute walks in the morning and 45 minute walks in the early evening makes for a happy puppy and a happy family. Without it, Ellie would be a Beastie. I am not a morning person, so it's a gnarly task for me and I have to force myself to drag my butt out the door, but it's a life saver. I am so, so happy to hear that with the prong collar you're able to have fun walks!!! That will mean more walks!!! Can you post a photo of her in her collar?

How did you find the trainer?
    I'll have to ask trainer regarding when I can use her name again. It has been such a pleasure walking her and it's only been 2 full days since being introduced to the prong collar. Whenever I stop walking she sits right beside me (I don't even have to say sit). Getting out the door has gotten much better as well.

I found this trainer on the internet by chance. I noticed her website because she also runs a Doggie Boot Camp so when I looked into that I noticed that she also trains one on one and comes to the persons home. The initial visit was a little on the expensive side but it was well worth it.

The longer walks have also made a big difference. We were walking her before just not as long due to the cold weather and snow/ice. I just make sure I am bundled up for these walks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rochie427 For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos