Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone lost a toenail?

This is a snow shoveling related injury. Am I going to lose it? It doesn't hurt anymore but the entire nail is pretty dark now. Advice?

Oh. That picture is terrible. My camera is barely functional at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -toenail-jpg  

Leave it alone...it'll come off when it's ready. :-/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

I've lost my pinky toe nail. It just comes off as the new one grows in, not much you can do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

I lost the same one twice. The first time a shod horse stepped on my big toe. It went black like that and eventually the whole thing just lifted off in one piece. It hadn't looked good so I'd been putting nail polish on all my toes. The family joke is I gave it to my sister for Christmas but really, I never did.

The second time was from cramming too much sock into my skate and then skating a lot on the Rideau Canal for three days. By day three I could not stand on my foot. It hurt a lot, lot more than the horse injury did. It did fall off but took a long time and for months it was hanging and I bandaged it so it wouldn't rip off and bleed and cause me more problems. When it finally came off I discovered the new one was growing underneath it. That toenail is now infected with fungus that I've been battling for years. Apparently injury like that is a common reason for fungus to start.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

I had a toe nail fungus and not an injury, but my toe nail did fall off. It was weird and surprisingly didn't hurt. It was tender until the new nail grew in and the new nail was healthy. So, you may loose it, but it'll grow back. I put tea tree oil on it until it grew back. It took mine 3-4 months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I lost the same one twice. The first time a shod horse stepped on my big toe. It went black like that and eventually the whole thing just lifted off in one piece. It hadn't looked good so I'd been putting nail polish on all my toes. The family joke is I gave it to my sister for Christmas but really, I never did.

The second time was from cramming too much sock into my skate and then skating a lot on the Rideau Canal for three days. By day three I could not stand on my foot. It hurt a lot, lot more than the horse injury did. It did fall off but took a long time and for months it was hanging and I bandaged it so it wouldn't rip off and bleed and cause me more problems. When it finally came off I discovered the new one was growing underneath it. That toenail is now infected with fungus that I've been battling for years. Apparently injury like that is a common reason for fungus to start.
    I got a fungus on both my big toes from an injury too but never ended up losing the nails. I wore a pair of heels that pushed my toes toward the front and was crushing them for a few hours. They were bruised up the next day, when the "bruises" didn't go away for months I realized that the bruise had actually turned into a fungus. I trimmed them really short and started treating aggressively with this stuff called Nonyx. Took a while but eventually I got rid of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

Not a toe nail but a thumb nail. Got my thumb caught in a door, right at the base of the nail. Took a while but it did come off completely. Hurt like heck even after having a hole drilled in the nail to release pressure.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

I had a small toe nail fall off over the summer. Did not expect it, felt what I thought was a pebble in my sock but was the nail.

Had my big toe nail looking bad and wiggly but it seemed to recover. Really no big deal. It qas tender for a day or two but not overly annoying.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KenZ71 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-02-2015)

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    The second time was from cramming too much sock into my skate and then skating a lot on the Rideau Canal for three days...
    I want to go there and skate! Is it as awesome as it looks? I've put it on my bucket list.
    Can you start at one end, and skate for a while, and get a cab and not have to skate back to your beginning? I want to know the feeling of skating for as far as I want, and not be going in a circle.

Had my fingernail fall off once. Years ago when young and strong and working in a factory to pay my way through school I had to move these metal barrels full of tiny metal parts around. The best way to move them short distances was to tip them at an angle then roll them on the bottom edge of the barrel. Working on a stack that was about 100 lbs each barrel I rolled one right next to another and let it tilt back. My pinky right at the nail, between the top rims of the barrel was smashed between 2 barrels. Hurt like heck but didn't break anything. Whole nail turned black, doctor had to piece a hole in the nail to let the pressure from the blood under it out. Eventually the nail fell off. Grew back just fine though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

janedoe (03-03-2015)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos