Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

come command 9 week old

how do you train him to come to you?i call and call and he seems oblivious
    Packer

Do you use treats? Theo will do ANYTHING for treats.

Treats, running away from the dog, stick a leash/long-line on him, hide.

At this age it should be very simple. Also, the more you call and allow him to ignore you, the harder of a time you're going to have when the pup gets older.

You can enroll your pup in class at 10 weeks as long as you've had two sets of shots and your pup is healthy. There's a class called Puppy STAR available at most training facilities. I highly recommend it.

At that age, I started with a very hi pitched "puppy, puppy, puppy"!!!!!!!!!!!! every time Bruce looked at me when we went out in the yard. As soon as he started coming towards me, I'd say it again, and treat him as soon as he got to me, high pitched "YES" as the treat went in. Took about two days of doing this a couple times a day, maybe five minutes total per day, and he'd come right to me. Next I replaced the "puppy" with "Brucey, Brucey, Brucey"!!!!! Treat and repeat. Took maybe two days. Next, "Brucey HERE!!!!!!!" High pitched voice, treat, "YES!" Started doing the "Brucey HERE" when he wasn't looking. YES, TREAT, REPEAT.

You can also use a lightweight 6-10 foot leash to enforce the command as you are working on this. Every time the dog comes to you you have to have a party, you have got to show them coming to you is the greatest thing that has every happened to them. Never call them to you to scold them, not matter how bad they were, no matter how frustrated you may be with them, they came to you, you have a party. While they are young, and you are working on recall, don't ever call them unless you are in a position to correct them immediately.

Kelly McCoy has some great vides's she's posted here showing how she trains recall using an E-collar. I also use some of her techniques when training, I just don't use the e-collar. I have nothing what so ever against e-collars, I feel like any other tool, used properly they are very effective, I just choose not to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Do you use treats? Theo will do ANYTHING for treats.
    Mocha does EVERYTHING for a treat. When he sees us get into his treats, he will just go through every trick he knows (Sit, down, circle, high 5 with both paws, etc) before we say a word! So we train him with praise and treats come at the end. Silly dog

I think the trick for training "come" is making coming to you better than what they are doing. Whether you do it with treats or toys or praise. The others have great advice.

agree with puppy puppy puppy. high pitch voice, crouch low and face away and gave very yummy treats.

but you dont teach a command by just saying it. the more you use a word without sucess the more it means nothing. use it when dog is already coming or use a long line to gently tug him towards you. never use the command unless chances of success are high until tbe dog has mastered it.

Here's what worked for me.

Snowshoe's Album: Teaching COME

I keep calling his name ,he is so busy exploring that he doesn't even raise his head from the snow,he's only been here a little over a week,so this is what I have to gwork on next-fullsizerender-jpg
    Packer

9 weeks old? A labrador? COOKIES!!! (Also don't worry about any sluggish behavior if it's nap time. And with young puppies, it's almost always nap time.) When they're awake... it's happy-happy-happy voice, cookie-cookie-cookie-followed by patting and praise. Slam dunk.

Real Retriever
    For a 9 week old, should be no problem. You just have to make yourself known as more fun than whatever they have!!!

I am a firm believer in putting the fear of losing me in them, right from day one. First though, you have to be the fun guy, if they have a leaf, YOU have a handful of leaves and are making LOTS of fun noise playing with them!! YEAH!! This is GREAT!!! When they come running, call them. Then have fun with the leaves!!! Then RUN over there... Call them if they are following you. Find something really fun! YEAH!! a stick!!! YEAH!! This is great!! Your pockets should always be filled with fun toys! RUN over here and pull one out! YEAH!! Mr. Bunny!!! YEAH!! This is great!! What FUN!!! They associate their name with you having something really fun.

Don't worry if it doesn't work 100% all the time yet, remember he is a lab puppy! A split second after you called him and he started for you.. a blade of grass moved!!! OMG! What was that!!!! You are in the past already.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos