Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

when do they stop needing to chew??

Just this last hour alone, Barley has chewed in his nylabone dinosaur, the $18.00 antler I bought him, a dog toy (which I took away because he was destroying it) and now a rawhide chip. I am grateful he does not chew the furniture or shoes etc. (Probably because I watch him and give him other things to chew) but I am constantly switching chewing things out. This has been happening more at night lately. He is almost 10 month and no longer teething. I took him to the dog park this morning to tire him out but he may have needed more exercise? I has a long work day and did not have enough time today. When does the chewing typically end?-img_20141207_125552-jpg
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Chewing doesnt end, most dogs will want to chew until the day they die. Its also very healthy to allow a dog to chew, they need it

If you dont want him chewing on something all the time put the stuff up and give it to him when you can supervise. If i left bones, antlers, toys laying around, mine would chew all the time too. I dont leave those types of items laying around all the time. The only thing they have all the time is a bunch of rubber balls which they chew on as well

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (03-06-2015)

They never stop.

I let Luna have antlers and Nylabones 24/7. Try to befriend a hunter or venison farmer and get antlers from them.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Some dogs never stop. though it often does slow down some as they get older. But that won't be for a long while yet in your case (most likely).

Mine chews more when she hasn't had as much exercise. when she's tired she may chew a minute but then pass out. But she is around 2 so a bit older now.

You can try removing the chew toys, however, proceed with caution as some dogs may just find other things to chew which isn't winning the battle. If he isn't apt to chew your stuff it may work though, forcing him to take it easy.

Chew toys can be a good activity for busy evenings though so you are on the right track.

What size Antler did he get thru? was it full of one of those half anters? Anything rope is generally quick to get thru

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Get tougher chews. As other said it doesn't really end. Nylabone has different rankings of toughness. Get the toughest one. Also switch to Elk Antlers or Moose where available. Elk antlers last about 6 months at my house, where deer can go in a night or longest a month for a tough one. Also don't get them split, split are wide open exposing the softest parts.

As far as toys. You just have to find tougher ones. Ones that are weak may not ever work.
    A couple I have found really durable:
    Zogoflex, rubber chews. Hemi is not always overly interested in it but when he is he has a blast.
    Another one Hemi likes and read this carefully. I found somewhere else this amazing rubber toy, Hemi loved it and loved it and it was tough. It is the Everlasting treat Amazon.com : StarMark Everlasting Treat Ball, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies However, here is the thing. The treat sucks and it not healthy for them. So buy, it take a hammer and knock the treat out and you have a fun rubber toy that is perfect to stuff carrots in.
    Freeze carrots, take them longer to get through one.
    Then Toughy toys I am a huge fan of.
    You might have to resort to simple ones like this sunfish Amazon.com : Tuffy The General Sea Creature Dog Toy : Pet Squeak Toys : Pet Supplies
    More complicated ones like Gary Gator here the scales down the back gave something for Hemi to rip at and pick at and chew on. Amazon.com : Tuffys Dog Toy : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

Anyway I think it is more about finding the toys and chews that are right for your dog. No one toy and dog are the same.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (03-06-2015), Moby and Barley's Mom (03-06-2015)

Mocha is 19 months old and has shown no signs of slowing in the chewing dept. Shin bones, antlers, bully horns, Kong...
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Never. Both my labs are power chewers. Galileo bones are great, the dura chews from naylabone last a while as well. You can also get marrow bones from the super market or butcher I freeze them and feed them raw then boil off the rest of the meat and fill them with peanut butter, yogurt whatever you want and refreeze them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Get tougher chews. As other said it doesn't really end. Nylabone has different rankings of toughness. Get the toughest one. Also switch to Elk Antlers or Moose where available. Elk antlers last about 6 months at my house, where deer can go in a night or longest a month for a tough one. Also don't get them split, split are wide open exposing the softest parts.

As far as toys. You just have to find tougher ones. Ones that are weak may not ever work.
    A couple I have found really durable:
    Zogoflex, rubber chews. Hemi is not always overly interested in it but when he is he has a blast.
    Another one Hemi likes and read this carefully. I found somewhere else this amazing rubber toy, Hemi loved it and loved it and it was tough. It is the Everlasting treat Amazon.com : StarMark Everlasting Treat Ball, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies However, here is the thing. The treat sucks and it not healthy for them. So buy, it take a hammer and knock the treat out and you have a fun rubber toy that is perfect to stuff carrots in.
    Freeze carrots, take them longer to get through one.
    Then Toughy toys I am a huge fan of.
    You might have to resort to simple ones like this sunfish Amazon.com : Tuffy The General Sea Creature Dog Toy : Pet Squeak Toys : Pet Supplies
    More complicated ones like Gary Gator here the scales down the back gave something for Hemi to rip at and pick at and chew on. Amazon.com : Tuffys Dog Toy : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

Anyway I think it is more about finding the toys and chews that are right for your dog. No one toy and dog are the same.
    Thanks Jeff! The antler is actually an elk antler - but he seemed to like the deer one better because he could get at the marrow more easily. He just gets tired of one - then goes to another, etc. His favorite thing is really to rip apart Moby's favorite toys - so I no longer buy anything plushy. They have Kongs and LOVE them filled with frozen peanut butter and carrots - but I am hesitant to give him anything with food at night in case he needs to use the bathroom at 3 a.m. Thank you for the toy suggestions - I am always looking for something he will like and not DESTROY!
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

Jumbo elk antler. They last a while, at least with Rio, and they are so large i dont mind leaving them with him when i am not there. there is no way he can swallow it.

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Stupid question time...Am I right in seeing the general consensus is to allow the dog to rip stuff apart?
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos