Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to Switch Food :( Need advice

Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while and have learned so much from this forum. Now I'm looking for advice. I have two babies. a 2 year old lab (Tank) and 2 year German/Dobie (Zeus). I have been feeding them Rachael Ray Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. I really like it and they are doing great with it. But it is very expensive. Cheapest I can find it for is $25 for 14 lbs. Due to financial circumstances we can't keep feeding these boys such expensive food. For some crazy reason, my hubby thinks he should eat? Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper but good quality food. I know Costco has a good food but we don't have a membership. I've been to dogfoodadviser.com but I'm also looking for some personal recommendations. Thank you so much.

I know a lot of people here feed Purina Pro Plan. I have copied a link (Purina) to just one of their foods from Pet Smart. Not sure what price range you are looking. We feed either Purina One Smart Blend Lamb and Rice Formula or Simply Right Exceed Salmon and Pea Recipe that we get from Sam's Club.
    “Don't allow your happiness to be interrupted by overly judgmental people. The problem is not you, because even if you do good all the time, they would still find a way to judge you wrongly.”
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beth101509 For This Useful Post:

Zeus&TanksMom (03-06-2015)

We feed our dogs Pro Plan Sport. Have you thought about feeding raw? I don't, but have heard people mention that it is more cost effective to feed raw than kibble.

I feel like Purina Pro Plan is sort of expensive. And it really depends where you live and what you have available to you, if raw would be cheaper. I know for me it is not. You can get 33 lbs of Fromm Classics for $37.04 at chewy.com. Fromm is a very good company, and the food has pretty decent ingredients as well. My mom orders two bags at a time on auto-ship, and this allows her to have free shipping...you need a $49 minimum order for free shipping.

Fromm Family Classics Adult Formula Dry Dog Food, 33-lb bag

ETA Pro Plan on Chewy.com actually doesn't look too expensive, it must be cheaper there. I swear I've seen it at Petsmart for like $55 a 30lb bag.

Petsmart sells a brand called Authority. Its a decent food and very reasonably priced. Or look at some of the Purina One formulas and Eukanuba

Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    We feed our dogs Pro Plan Sport. Have you thought about feeding raw? I don't, but have heard people mention that it is more cost effective to feed raw than kibble.
    Certain areas only, if I fed raw, it would be so expensive compared to kibble

I think raw would be too expensive for us but I will check in to it. I will check into chewy.com Has anyone tried Publix Premium Lamb and Rice? It's not reviewed on dogfoodadvisor. I compared the ingredients to our current food and it seems comparable. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Look into Hi-Tek Naturals. They have grain free or grain inclusive. Around here it costs less than a dollar a pound for the grain inclusive. Grain free is about $1.50/pound. I think chewy supplies it too.
    ETA: their Alaskan fish formula is salmon and sweet potato
    do you know where My Whole Pet Market is located?
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

I feed Fromm and it is expensive. I may get blasted here, but you can also try IAMS. No great but no the worse either.

Newman's Own looks good too.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos